Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Is this guy f*ckin’ high?I don’t know Sports Illustrated’s Tim Layden. I know his name only because any time he writes an article about horse racing, Horse Racing Twitter goes nuts because the sport we love is finally getting attention from a mainstream publication. I’m sure Tim Layden is a great guy with lots
- Op/Ed: The Harsh Reality of the Bottom of the Foal MarketFollowing the completion of the foal and breeding stock sales in Great Britain and Ireland, there has been much comment about the state of the bloodstock market. While the middle and top end have arguably never been stronger, the bottom end of the market has plummeted to a state not
- DRF Players Podcast: December 11, 20180 DRF Players Podcast Special guest Richard Migliore joins Peter Thomas Fornatale to talk about his life in racing. Topics include what horsemen and horseplayers can learn from each other, and how today's riding culture is different from when Migliore was riding. Plus, what does a dieting jockey eat
- HORSE RACING’S IMPROVED TV PRESENCEFrom the early days of television to the present time, horse racing has needed more television exposure. The sport will never return to its halcyon days of fan support but increased TV time can greatly assist in developing the fans of tomorrow, especially since many major cities do not have racetracks
- Where Are They Now: Springboard Mile WinnersRemington ParkThe final U.S. Kentucky Derby prep race of 2018, the Springboard Mile has attracted 12 2-year-olds in their quest for a spot in the Kentucky Derby next May. But before we look forward in coming days, we’ve taken a look back to see what the last 17 winners did
- BARN Podcast 12/12/18We're thrilled to welcome in Nick Hines to talk about his career in racing including being an owner, trainer, analyst on TVG, and much more! The post BARN Podcast 12/12/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- When to say “Enough!”A major weakness in my handicapping game is an occasional inability to walk away from a horse that I’ve been chasing. Often, this is out of fear of missing the wedding after suffering through more than one funeral, if you know what I mean. This fall, Prolific, a three-year-old Godolphin
- LoneSpeed Phase IIHi folks, We are nearing the end of racing’s slow season, as Santa Anita is just weeks away and the action begins to heat up at Gulfstream Park. Soon, we’ll be obligated to create a Kentucky Derby Top 10 list. And before we know it, everyone will start at 0
- Sam Riddle Tells Inside Story of Purchasing Man o’WarMary Simon, three-time Eclipse Award winner and one of the sport’s most noted historians, brought out an old box of papers she hadn’t looked at in many years and placed it on the living room floor. She had no idea what was in there, just basically old papers she had
- BARN Podcast 12/11/18We open the show with a handicapping discussion on a unique situation and then we welcome in trainer Jena Antonucci to talk about training in South Florida, working in aftercare, some of her horses, and much more! The post BARN Podcast 12/11/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 12/6/18Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured the nominees for the USTA Innovator of the Year! The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 12/6/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Pedigree Insights: ImprobableAs his odds of 1-5 make perfectly clear, there was nothing improbable about Improbable (City Zip)’s victory in the GI Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity. Nor was there anything improbable about a colt of his pedigree establishing a record of three wins from three starts as a 2-year-old. His sire, the
- tapit juveniles adding spice to the holiday seasonThose terrific Tapit 2-year-olds! America’s three-time leading sire is setting up a deep bench of impressive young prospects who appear to have great potential to excel over the coming months and further enrich their sire’s legacy as the leading active sire of classic quality here in the States. Over the
- Baffert counters Chad with a huge afternoonChad Brown and Bob Baffert are in a two-man race for the top trainer Eclipse. Chad surged last weekend with three Grade 1 wins. Bullet Bob countered Saturday with a pair of Grade 1 wins, running one-two in the first of them and one-three in the other. Baffert's Game Winner
- BARN Podcast 12/10/18We look back at the weekend action including a pair of Grade 1 events at Los Alamitos, Louisiana Championship Day at Fair Grounds, Clasico de Carribe at Gulfstream Park, and more! The post BARN Podcast 12/10/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Six Facts About Remington Park’s Springboard Mile NomineesThe Breeders’ Cup may be over but for a large group 2-year-olds, their season looks to continue at Remington Park on December 16 with their connections nominating them for the Springboard Mile. The Oklahoma race will award its winner a valuable 10 points toward the Kentucky Derby with the top
- High cost of workers’ compensation hitting NYRA trainers hard | Daily Racing FormSince opening up a division on the New York Racing Association circuit in the spring of 2017, trainer Robertino Diodoro has won 69 races and his horses have earned just less than $3 million in purses. Has that resulted in him making money? “I don’t think so,” said Diodoro, whose
- DRF Players Podcast: December 7, 20180 DRF Players Podcast PublicHandicapper’s Scott Carson joins PTF and JK to talk about the Winter of Our Discontent contest and a quartet of races from this weekend. The DRF Players’ Podcast covers the top stories in horse racing, from the player’s perspective. Join hosts Peter Thomas Fornatale and
- I’ve lost money betting horses like VibranceYou’re looking over the past performances for Saturday’s Starlet at Los Al, and you happen to notice that neither of the two Baffert-trained fillies, Mother Mother or Chasing Yesterday, have been two turns. Then you decide to watch the replay of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, again. And you come
- Court ruling exposes hypocrisy of NY Gaming CommissionFollowing a decision by New York’s highest court last week, the rank hypocrisy and arbitrariness of the state’s Gaming Commission was exposed fully. The case involved penalties imposed by the Commission against Luis Pena, a trainer of harness horses. The Commission determined that Pena had committed 1,717 violations of its drug
- The Friday Show: Passing Or Failing Grades?Each year, the American Graded Stakes Committee reevaluates the grading system for the highest level races in the U.S., downgrading some from Grade 1 or Grade 2 and upgrading others from Grade 2 or 3. It's an annual decision that has wide-ranging implications for the racing and breeding industries. In
- BARN Podcast 12/7/18We start our look ahead to the weekend including discussing the pair of Grade 1 events at Los Alamitos this weekend for the juvenile runners as well as the Classico de Caribe at Gulfstream Park. Then the BARN Jury come on to check in after a brief hiatus. The post
- Battling misinformation about animal welfare but we’re on the same sideIn case you were unaware, racing is under siege with its social licence seriously under scrutiny.The bizarre thing is, most of those firmly entrenched in the industry have a similar goal as those who are currently giving us the side-eye. Animal welfare is at the heart of everything we do.
- Grading committee nothing but a tool for breedersWith its latest decisions, the American Graded Stakes Committee has exposed itself as nothing more than a tool for breeders. Quality of a stakes and its history are irrelevant to the committee. Five major distance stakes, with a roster of distinguished winners, have been downgraded while three sprints of no
- Clásico Del Caribe News Minute: What’s The Story?With the Caribbean Classic event being held at Gulfstream Park for the second consecutive year, there are some storylines developing that make the event easier to follow for U.S. racing fans. In today's edition of the Clásico del Caribe News Minute, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick go over what to