Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: Kentucky Derby Chat With Churchill Downs’ Joe KristufekOn this week's Who Do Ya Like Podcast on the Bet America Radio Network, host Scott Shapiro welcomes in Churchill Downs' handicapper and on-air analyst Joe Kristufek. Now in his 5th Kentucky Derby, Joe discusses his top contenders for the world's most famous horse racing and how he approaches the
- Derby Dozen – April 23, 2019 – Presented by Shadwell Farm1 Omaha Beach Richard Mandella War Front—Charming, by Seeking the Gold The back story is there, the owner and trainer are Derby gods material, Mike Smith chose to ride him over a Bob Baffert-trained Santa Anita Derby winner, the colt is making tremendous strides with every start, he appears
- REMEMBERING COALTOWNRunning second in the Kentucky Derby is rarely a precursor to lasting notoriety. Yet for Coaltown in 1948, a Hall of Fame career lay ahead. Unraced as a 2-year-old, Coaltown carried 130 pounds in eight of his 39 career starts and 132 pounds in two other races. Coaltown’s world-record-shattering performances
- Derby Spotlight: Win Win WinBrought to you by BetPTC.com, the only ADW offering instant cash back. I have no issue with playing a horse in a route whose best races have come sprinting. Maximum Security and Bodexpress just ran 1-2 in the Florida Derby coming out of 7F races. However, when those impressive sprint
- PR Special OBS April: Sunday Silence Makes HistoryThe Paulick Report returns to Central Florida, with a pair of special print publications for the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. Spring Sale of 2-Year-Olds In Training, available on the sales grounds and online. In the Book 1 edition of the PR Special, Joe Nevills looks ahead to the Kentucky Derby
- BARN Podcast 4/23/19It's Tuesday and we're discussing the news of the day, Derby handicapping psychology, and more. We also replay the interview with Jessica Chapel from 2018. The post BARN Podcast 4/23/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Jumping Around Podcast: Hunt Cup historyIt's the last week in April, which means time to talk Maryland Hunt Cup. Buzz Hannum and Paddy Neilson won the great race three times each and sat down to talk about it with us.
- Derby Spotlight: Plus Que ParfaitBrought to you by BetPTC.com, the only ADW offering instant cash back. Go watch the replay of the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs on November 24, 2018, and tell me that you can’t see Plus Que Parfait making the same move over the same track in the Kentucky
- BARN Podcast 4/22/19It's Monday and we're looking back at the weekend of racing including opening day cards at Woodbine and Emerald Downs, the Elkhorn at Keeneland, the Charles Town Classic, and more! The post BARN Podcast 4/22/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Pedigree Insights: SkarduIt was only a couple of weeks ago that I reminded everyone that marked success for a stallion is likely to breed more success four or five years down the line. On that basis, it looks to be a pretty safe bet that 2019 is going to be another
- Steve Davidowitz Leaves Handicapping Legacy BehindBy John Pricci It was a seminal moment in the life of a hopeful horseplayer. It was during my early days at Newsday when I excitedly made my first expenses paid trip to Saratoga for the 24-day August Place to Be. I felt like I had something to prove—not to
- Who wants to go to Japan with me?Brought to you by BetPTC.com, the only ADW offering instant cash back. Word came down this week that The Japan Racing Association will host their own wagering pool for the Kentucky Derby if their native son, Master Fencer, starts in the race. I think I speak for all American bettors when
- Derby Spotlight: Omaha BeachAre we looking at the Kentucky Derby favorite here? Seems likely so. The decision by Mike Smith to ride this guy over Roadster is a big deal in my opinion. And he’s been visually impressive in both recent stakes wins. That said, even if you forget about the grass tries,
- Road to the Kentucky Derby, By the NumbersWhen Omaha Beach held off Improbable to win the Arkansas Derby (G1) April 13 at Oaklawn Park, it wrapped up an especially exciting Road to the Kentucky Derby prep season. Before turning our focus to the actual race, I thought we could take a final look back at this year's
- Who Do Ya Like Podcast: Kentucky Derby Chat With VSIN’s Ron FlatterOn this week's episode of the Who Do Ya Like Podcast over the Bet America Radio Network, host Scott Shapiro welcomes in the Vegas Stats & Information Network's Ron Flatter. Ron dives into the role Quirin Speed Points have played in the Kentucky Derby since the new points system has
- The Friday Show Presented By The Match Series: On The Lasix PlanA group of the country's most well-known racetrack owners unveiled a plan this week to ban the use of the race-day medication, Lasix, first in 2-year-old races and then a year later in all stakes. It sounds simple but it may not be. In this edition of The Friday Show,
- Derby Spotlight: Long Range ToddyI had been hoping that Long Range Toddy would turn in a good performance in the Arkansas Derby so that he would attract attention at the windows in the Kentucky Derby and I could bet against him. But it was not to be. Although if you like him, it’s easy
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 4/18/19Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Dylan Davis, Pete Venagilia, Jeffrey Gillis, and Andrew McCarthy The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 4/18/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- BARN Podcast 4/19/19We're looking ahead to the weekend of racing action including the Charles Town Classic as well as racing from Keeneland. The BARN Jury come in to discuss the sporting events that still give them chills when they see them. The post BARN Podcast 4/19/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Capitalizing on this crisis is not so easyThe crisis at Santa Anita has provided an opening for major tracks--NYRA's, Churchill Downs and Keeneland--to work toward the ban on race-day Lasix they have been yearning for. But there are significant problems with their proposal. Just as at Santa Anita, only 2-year-old races would be effected in 2020 and
- Taking Stock: Lord Kanaloa Up Next in JapanIt’s not often at my day job at Werk Thoroughbred Consultants that we get the opportunity to recommend foreign-based stallions to North American-based breeders, for the obvious reason that most breeders here aren’t in the habit of shipping mares abroad to be bred. And if and when we do, the
- Jockey DecisionsThere are two recent examples of decisions make by jockeys that surprised me and have me wondering to what extent those decisions should influence my Kentucky Derby wagering. For starters, the biggest news this week was that Mike Smith chose Omaha Beach over Roadster. Given the fact that Omaha Beach
- Derby Spotlight: Country HouseThink back to the 2013 and 2014 Kentucky Derbies. Both races featured a runner-up that led to the tote board blowing up. Those two horses were Golden Soul and Commanding Curve, both at odds of over 30-1. And this year, the horse that most reminds me of both past longshots
- April 17, 2019I have a new iPad, so I thought it might be fun to make a few short videos of the horses from time to time. For now, my theme is Old Friends in Georgetown in the evening. What do the horses do after hours? As it turned out, yesterday evening,
- BARN Podcast 4/18/19It's Horseplayer Thursday and we open the show talking about lower level maiden claiming events and the puzzle they can be. Then we welcome in professional poker player and Youtube vlogger Andrew Neeme to talk about his popular videos, playing poker for a living, learning from your peers, and more!