Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Taking Stock: Oddballs in KentuckyThere’s a 5-year-old Pennsylvania-bred horse in the Gll Kelso H. Saturday at Belmont Park by the name of Monongahela (K One King), which is the name of a river that flows through Pittsburgh in southwestern Pennsylvania. It’s also the name of a small city–called “Mon City” for short–about 17 miles
- The Friday Show Presented By The MATCH Series: Racing’s Future In Illinois, Stud Limits?In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick tackle several topics. They begin with a discussion of the latest developments in Illinois, where horsemen are at odds with Churchill Downs Inc. for its decision not to seek a casino license for Arlington Park. The discussion then
- The Unforgettable KelsoIt is appropriate that the New York Racing Association moved the Kelso Stakes from its fall Super Saturday card, where it was pretty much lost, to its own weekend. Now the focus is not only on those versatile horses prepping for either the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile or the Classic,
- When Horses Fly: The Beginnings Of Air Travel In The Racing WorldThere are 20 horses cataloged for this year's Keeneland September Yearling Sale that were born overseas and arrived stateside by airplane, and considerably more of the auction's 4,644 entries will travel through the sky to destinations in different states and different hemispheres after selling to far-flung buyers. When stacked against
- A FACTUAL ANALYSIS OF THE JUSTIFY SCOPOLAMINE POSTIVE IN THE SANTA ANITA DERBYThe recent New York Times story by Joe Drape pertaining to 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify testing positive for scopolamine in the Santa Anita Derby drew international attention to the incident…and a plethora of almost entirely negative commentary outside horse-racing circles. Most of the media accounts (starting with the New
- View From The Eighth Pole: The Sting Left On Illinois Racing By Churchill Downs Inc.You've probably heard the fable of the scorpion and the frog. A scorpion wants to cross a stream but needs help getting from one side to the other. He sees a frog and tells him of his desire, asking if he can ride across the stream on the frog's back.
- jockey club’s proposed rule to limit stallion books is provoking comment and analysisThose wild revolutionaries at the Jockey Club lobbed an incendiary device into last week’s news with the announcement that their board of stewards was considering a “rule to limit the annual breeding of individual stallions starting with the 2021 breeding season.” In the final days leading up to the world’s
- Jason Beem’s Racing Life Has Seen Highs, Lows, And A Twitter Joke That Went ViralYou may know Jason Beem as the part-time announcer at Monmouth Park, or from the recently-ended Colonial Downs meet. Or, you may know him for his weekly racing podcast, broadcast first from BetAmerica and now by TwinSpires. Or possibly you've read his debut novel Southbound which he's currently converting into
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with The Little GuysOklahoma? Check. Horse Haven? Check. Around the turn? Check. Main Track? Check. Clare Court? Check. Harness side? Check. Gridley Street? Check.
- PR Special Keeneland September Sale: Questions About Video Endoscopies?The Paulick Report is back at it for Book 2 of the Keeneland September Yearling Sale, with the fourth edition of its special print publication for the bellwether sale. This edition of the PR Special focuses on another hot topic on the sales grounds: the push for video endoscopy to
- The Friday Show Presented By The MATCH Series: California Conflicts?The U.S. horse racing industry is dealing with yet another controversy this year after the New York Times story about 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify's positive drug test following the Santa Anita Derby. In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss the details of the
- THE PARALLEL UNIVERSES OF THE NY TIMES EXPOSE AND KEENELAND: FOLLOW THE MONEYFollow the money. That adage does not always prove true in discerning outcomes but it is often a reliable guide of things to come. For instance, betting sites are usually a more accurate predictor of who is going to win an election than expert forecasts and public opinion polls. Bettors
- September 12, 2019This week has been moving week. We have one new guy on the block. Several longtime residents have changed paddocks. First, a big welcome to Slim Shadey, who moved into Old Friends two days ago. This grand old gelding (now 11 years old) from England ran in Great Britain, then
- California Racing Has Always Been an IslandBy now everyone's read the Drape story about Triple Crown winner Justify receiving an alleged (no one has disputed it yet, so maybe they'll drop the alleged part soon) positive test for the drug scopolamine.This drug is not new to horse racing, as over the years positives have resulted in
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 9/12/19Mike and Mike talk harness racing erraevery Thursday in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Darrell Wood, Mark McKelvie, and Joe Zambito. The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 9/12/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- How The First Horse Van Shocked The Public And British BookmakersThe thresholds of Keeneland's property will be tread upon by an endless stream of horse vans during the two weeks and change of its September Yearling Sale, effortlessly bringing horses in from around the country and redistributing them to destinations around the world. It's easy to take for granted a
- PR Special Keeneland September Sale: Let’s Hear It From The Breeding IndustryThe Keeneland September Yearling Sale rolls on, and the Paulick Report is on the grounds with another special print publication for the auction. In this edition of the PR Special, The Jockey Club's proposed limitation of mares bred by a stallion during a season has been one of the hottest
- DEVELOPMENTS IN LEGAL SPORTS BETTING IN THE UNITED STATESFor the first time ever in May 2019 New Jersey took in more money on sports betting than Nevada (Las Vegas has had sports betting since 1949). In May, New Jersey surpassed Nevada $318.9 million to $318.3 million. By July 2019, the disparity had grown with New Jersey taking in
- sky mesa gets third g1 winner with spinaway winner perfect alibiSky Mesa (by Pulpit) got his third U.S. Grade 1 winner from 13 crops of racing age when Perfect Alibi won the Spinaway Stakes at Saratoga on Sept. 1 after a game contest with the Into Mischief fillies Frank’s Rockette and Figure of Speech. On the same day, Sky Mesa’s juvenile daughter
- Paddy NeilsonI would not have become a jockey without Paddy Neilson. Before school, my last two years of Unionville High School. Monday to Friday, one set. Eight dollars a horse, plus breakfast. Neilson’s wife, Toinette, toasted cinnamon rolls, I’d run up the steps, take a quick shower, pull on a slightly
- Smarty Party Returns to PhillyAs the dark clouds moved in over Parx racetrack on Sept. 2 and with the predicted thunderstorms imminent, it threatened to disrupt the scheduled festivities to pay tribute to Philadelphia’s favorite hero of 2004, Smarty Jones. But fortunately the rains came and went before Smarty’s appearance. It’s hard to believe
- Can We Beat the Computer Horse Betting Models? At Times, Sure We Can.On an previous post I mentioned a book I read a couple of weeks ago called "Digital Marketing in an AI World" and promised a couple of thoughts on AI or big data models for horse racing.If you're interested I'll share a few of those thoughts below.First, I'm a believer in
- BARN Podcast 9/6/19It's our final episode of the BetAmerica Radio Network. Jason discusses the show, says some thank you's, and talks about the exciting next thing. The post BARN Podcast 9/6/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 9/6/19Mike and Mike talk harness racing every Thursday in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Blake Macintosh and Anette Lorentzon The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 9/6/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Taking Stock: New Era for Phipps StableThe iconic Phipps Stable is doing the unprecedented. For the first time, it is selling its entire crop of yearling colts. This is set to go down next week at the Keeneland September sale through Claiborne, as agent. No need to sound the alarm, however–Daisy Phipps Pulito, who co-owns the