Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- BARN Podcast 6/26/19We take a look at the races that make up the big Belmont Wednesday Pick 6 carryover and welcome in long time Massachusetts area trainer Jay Bernardini to talk about the final weekend at Suffolk Downs, running his stable at Mountaineer, and more! The post BARN Podcast 6/26/19 appeared first
- Gorajec: RCI Kicked To The Curb By California Horse Racing Board; Who’s Next?I listened to last Thursday's audio broadcast of the California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) meeting as it withdrew, by unanimous vote, as a member of the Association of Racing Commissioners International (RCI). I was an active member of the RCI for 25 years when I was the executive director of
- Shamardal Makes Impact at Royal AscotShamardalRoyal Ascot has come and gone and with it brought many storylines to last us until 2020 with multiple stallions having much success, both new and old. In today’s blog, I look at eight different interesting points that we were left with when the Queen headed home after the final
- Tick Tock, Tick TockSaratoga is looming.
- BARN Podcast 6/25/19Jason opens the show discussing the ending of his recent stint calling the races at Monmouth Park and we replay an interview with horseplayer Garett Skiba from 2017 talking tournaments, handicapping, and horseplaying. The post BARN Podcast 6/25/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- View From The Eighth Pole: Breeders’ Cup Can Run But Not Hide From Safety ConcernsThe Breeders' Cup board of directors meets on Thursday, June 27, and a key topic for discussion almost certainly will be whether or not to maintain the organization's commitment to hold this year's two-day championships at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., on Nov. 1-2. The easy decision would be
- A New Life For WileyThoroughbred racing has changed quite a lot over the years, some for better, some for worse. But one of the ways it definitely has changed for the better is the number of horses who have found new homes following their retirement, some discovering hidden talents and given a second career.All
- Pedigree Insights: StradivariusIt was Shamardal who took the honours as the top stallion at Royal Ascot, with his four successes, and while I have no desire to detract from the achievements of a stallion who has already been featured twice in this column this year following the successes of Blue Point (Ire)
- BARN Podcast 6/24/19We look back at a busy weekend including a trio of graded stakes events from Monmouth Park, A showdown at Churchill Downs, Mystic Lake Derby at Canterbury, and the Ohio Derby. The post BARN Podcast 6/24/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Arcadia to Ascot, Worlds ApartThis was supposed to be a whimsical piece; the lead already written: “I have a confession to make. I’m an Ascot weenie and I have no intention of apologizing for how much I loved not only the racing but the pomp and circumstance, too…” Like the old Keeneland tagline, this
- A BREEDERS’ CUP AT SANTA ANITA IN 2019 WOULD BE A TERRIBLE BLUNDERAbout a week ago, I saw a classified ad in the Blood-Horse magazine offering to re-sell a clubhouse box for the 2019 Breeders’ Cup at Santa Anita. This got me thinking how much trouble it would be to untangle business arrangements if the Breeders’ Cup board of directors were to
- Hall Of Famer Hollendorfer Told To Vacate Stalls At Santa Anita, Golden GateHall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer was told Saturday by The Stronach Group, owner of Santa Anita Park, to vacate his stalls at the Arcadia, Calif., racetrack after the euthanasia of American Currency – the fourth horse from his barn to die since the winter meet began Dec. 26. American
- Ollie’s Candy a Lock in Wilshire: Public Handicapper PicksA week after nailing a $13.80 winner and three of my alternate selections won their races, this weekend's Public Handicapper card isn't nearly as strong as last week's that featured an intriguing Stephen Foster Stakes evening card at Churchill Downs.The editors had the unenviable task of slim pickings, and nothing
- The Friday Show Presented By The Match Series: Lessons From Royal Ascot?This week, the Thoroughbred racing world's attention has been focused on the majesty of the annual Royal Ascot meet near London. In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss what makes the five-day event so special and captivating. What elements of Royal Ascot might U.S.
- Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate ReturnSinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practiceIn Ontario and elsewhere, we’ve heard a lot of talk about marketing over the last several years. The discussion is certainly a valid one. According to a 2016 CMO Survey, US companies spend between
- June 20, 2019We’ve had a lot of rain this month, but on a balmy June evening a week ago as I walked the farm with my iPad I happened on this moment. Seen through a curtain of late sunrays, Alphabet Soup decides on the perfect spot for a refreshing roll in the
- BARN Podcast 6/21/19It's Friday and we're welcoming in the BARN Jury to talk about their favorite sports and racing moments from the first half of 2019. We then welcome in Johnny Love from the Minneapolis Star Tribune to talk about the big Saturday of racing coming up at Canterbury Park. The post
- Thankfully, California’s over-reaction isn’t spreadingThe continuation of racing in California is in genuine peril thanks to hysterical activists, grandstanding politicians and a cheerleading media. Fortunately, the movement is not spreading eastward at this time. This doesn't mean the drive to end racing couldn't metastasize elsewhere. So it's incumbent that efforts to reduce deaths on
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 6/20/19Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Marcus Melander, Rick Moore, Montrell Teague, and Tony Schadel The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 6/20/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- BARN Podcast 6/20/19We're looking ahead to some big weekend action today as we talk about the Ohio Derby from Thistledown, Covfefe's return at Churchill Downs, and a big Grade 1 weekend at Monmouth Park. The post BARN Podcast 6/20/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Scheinman: An Everlasting Bond That Ties Horses And Humans TogetherWhen I worked at the long-gone Montgomery Journal newspaper in Rockville, Md., having switched over to the copy desk from sports, an old horse trainer named Bernie Bond died in 1993. I had the picture cut out of his obituary in the Daily Racing Form taped to a drawer underneath
- BARN Podcast 6/19/19We're excited to welcome in long time jockey and current broadcaster Richard Migliore to the show. We talk about some current racing events, Richard's long career on the track, broadcasting, and more! The post BARN Podcast 6/19/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Royal CouchA few years ago, Joey asked me about my schedule in mid June.
- BARN Podcast 6/18/19We finish our look back at the weekend and welcome in trainer Dallas Stewart to talk about his big victory with Seeking the Soul in the Stephen Foster. We also bring back the "Meet the Tweeter" segment and welcome in Mike McEntire ( @gorgonzola44 ) to chat. The post BARN
- Turned-Back Sale Of Unbridled’s Song As A Juvenile Altered Thoroughbred Industry’s CourseThe horse that brings the most money at a sale will usually be the one that gets the most headlines immediately after the fact, but some of horse racing's greatest competitors are ones that went home with the person trying to sell them. Unbridled's Song did both, and altered the