Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Breeders’ Cup Classic Top 5Hronis Racing's Accelerate and jockey Joel Rosario win the Grade I, $1,000,000 TVG Pacific Classic, Saturday, August 18, 2018 at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, Del Mar CA.© BENOIT PHOTO Accelerate dominated his foes in the Pacific Classic. It wasn't even close. It was such a beat down that I thought
- made a boo-boo while writing my first Thoroughbred project–ok, I made a few – Diana HurlburtThe project was structured around a female jockey and a female archivist, the latter of which was putting together an exhibition similar to the one arriving in July 2019 at the National Museum of Racing. There are huge chunks of dialogue devoted to discussion of female jocks; there’s an impassioned
- View From The Eighth Pole: Horseplayers Deserve Better From Stewards And RegulatorsMy phone started blowing up Sunday afternoon, shortly after the fourth race at Gulfstream Park was run. There were calls, emails, text messages and Twitter comments imploring me to watch jockey Tony Maragh on a horse named Musical Heart. The 3-year-old gelding by Maclean's Music, owned by Joseph Bucci and
- Pedigree Insights: NonzaI’m not sure exactly what a stallion needs to achieve to merit the title “sire of sires,” but surely the two-time champion sire Smart Strike already qualifies. We’ve seen his son Curlin do so well that his fee has risen to $150,000, with the escalation being fuelled by the Grade
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Rudy Rodriguez“I’ll get them later,” Rudy Rodriguez said Monday night as he stood alongside the back walking ring at the Fasig-Tipton sale of select yearlings.
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Mark HennigMark Hennig won two races early at Saratoga 2018 and is in the midst of a solid 2018 with 19 wins (compared to 22 in all of 2017) and more than $1.5 million in purse earnings. As usual, his two-barn camp deep in the trees on the main-track side’s road
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Ron MoquettRon Moquett loves Saratoga. He loves Oaklawn Park, too, rightfully so as Hot Springs is where he started and the place he calls home. He loves just about any place like those two spots, where racing dominates the scene and the conversation, everywhere from the backstretch to the butcher shop.
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Ian WilkesIan Wilkes brought a larger than usual number of 2-year-olds to upstate New York last summer for the Saratoga meeting and came away with a pair of victories late in the meet to bring his tally to three for the stand.
- BARN Podcast 8/20/18We look back at the big Pacific Classic Day card at Del Mar along with the Alabama card from Saratoga and more! The post BARN Podcast 8/20/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Broodmare Watch: Clem GemFor over a year now, I’ve casually perused claiming races with an eye on the pedigrees of claiming-level mares that I think have broodmare potential. I’ve decided to share these mares with the public, along with a few hypothetical matings that I find interesting. The first edition of this will
- New York Racing: Not Enough of One, Too Much of the OtherI get why the Breeders’ Cup has made Southern California a virtual home circuit. The San Gabriels are the best backdrop of any race track in America. And if you crane your neck just a little from a lofty perch at Del Mar, you could almost reach out and touch
- Haeya Finally Earns Big Race Glory in KNN CupHaeya has finally done it. The five-year-old mare whose career has been a litany of injury and other setbacks won the 2nd leg of the Queens’ Tour the KNN Cup at Busan Racecourse on Sunday afternoon to secure her first Group race triumph. Haeya’s distant 3rd behind Silver Wolf in
- When Forego Owned the WoodwardNo major stakes has undergone more changes than the Woodward Stakes, once regarded as the maker of champions, as it often was in the Woodward Stakes that horses clinched Horse of the Year honors. Inaugurated in 1954, it has been run at three racetracks – Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga,
- It’s Post Time by Jon White: Sky Appears the Limit for Instagrand – XBTVHall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer sent out Kentucky Derby starters in 2017 and 2018 who both outran their odds. In 2017, Hollendorfer was represented by 40-1 Battle of Midway, who finished third behind Always Dreaming and Lookin At Lee. In 2018, Hollendorfer-trained Instilled Regard, virtually ignored in the wagering
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Jimmy TonerJimmy Toner brought his usual stable stocked with grass horses to Saratoga for the 2018 meet. Not surprisingly, as the rain-soaked meet approaches its midpoint later this week, the barn’s activity has been light with only six starters through the first 16 days.
- Heavenly Prize, Justify, And The Changing Tides Of Hall Of Fame InductionsThis year's induction ceremony to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame was focused on historical figures in the sport, and a lone modern inductee in top filly Heavenly Prize. Racing fans and insiders reacted with surprise that there was just one inductee from a ballot of four
- DRF Players Podcast: August 17, 20180 DRF Players Podcast PTF and JK look ahead to the weekend and take an early look at the Breeders' Cup futures markets. The DRF Players’ Podcast covers the top stories in horse racing, from the player’s perspective. Join hosts Peter Thomas Fornatale and Jonathon Kinchen as they discuss
- The Friday Show Presented By The Match Series: Square Peg, Round Table?Last weekend's Jockey Club Round Table generated some thought-provoking ideas, as it usually does. Afterwards, the question always seems to be: how can the racing industry implement some of them? In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick sort through this year's proposals and identify the
- Del Mar Playing to Mixed ReviewsLAS VEGAS--I’m in the midst of my annual horse betting orgy in Sin City, 10 days of early in the morning until late night horse-playing. Out here, they consider Saratoga that track back East that runs during the Del Mar season. When in Rome…so this column will be somewhat West
- BARN Podcast 8/17/18We continue to look ahead to the weekend by discussing the Alabama Stakes and Lake Placid from Saturday at Saratoga as well as the Breeders' Stakes from Woodbine. The BARN Jury then comes in to discuss which tracks they wish could be brought back to life. The post BARN Podcast
- August 16, 2018Genuine Reward (1993-2018) As painful as it is to write a goodbye to a horse I love, it’s far more wrenching when the horse is important to many people, and whose passing is, in a way, the end of an era. Throughout his 25 years, Genuine Reward carried a double
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness ShowMike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Melissa Keith, John Horne, Nick Salvi, Vance Cameron, and Darin Gagne. The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Cup of Coffee: Wire IdeaBas Nicholl called me last week. The longtime assistant trainer for D. Wayne Lukas has called me twice before. Once, Nicholl called to thank me for leading the Travers feature with Will Take Charge and him and once when we misquoted Nicholl in Here & There. One out of two
- BARN Podcast 8/16/18We start to look ahead to the weekend including the Pacific Classic Day card from Del Mar, as well Friday stakes action from both Del Mar and Saratoga. The post BARN Podcast 8/16/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Derby Dreaming: Wesley Ward To Expand Horizons Beyond Royal AscotWesley Ward, celebrated as a masterful trainer of precocious 2-year-olds and for breakthrough success at Royal Ascot, wants to take the next step in his career by targeting the Kentucky Derby as never before. “I sure would like to get some athletes in the barn that can be on the