Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Far Hills Dreaming“Can you come on the show…?”
- Taking Stock: Constitution is New Star for WinStarConstitution, by Tapit from Baffled, by Distorted Humor, is the new rising star in the WinStar stallion barn. As of Thursday, Constitution was ranked second behind American Pharoah (Pioneerof the Nile) on the first-crop sire list with less than $25,000 separating the two as the high-dollar and game-changing Breeders’
- The Friday Show Presented By Smiling Tiger: A New Breeders’ Cup Era?While the Breeders' Cup returns to Santa Anita for a record 10th time Nov. 1 and 2, many things will be different about this running of the World Championships. In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss those changes from previous editions at Santa Anita
- An open letter from Patrick Cummings of the Thoroughbred Idea FoundationThe following open letter was penned by Pactick Cummings of the Thoroughbred Idea Foundation and was published at the following link on October 17, 2019: https://racingthinktank.com/blog/letter-west-virginia-and-racings-failure-properly-administer-itself The following is an open letter from Patrick Cummings, Executive Director of the Thoroughbred Idea Foundation: West Virginia’s
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 10/17/19Mike and Mike talk harness racing every Thursday in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Chad Rozema, Derick Giwner, and Brandon Bates. The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 10/17/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Industry, Animal Rights Activists React To Photo Of Thoroughbred In West Virginia LandfillLocal law enforcement and horsemen's groups are investigating the presence of a Thoroughbred's body in a landfill near Mountaineer Racetrack and Resort in late September. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) released a statement this week and graphic photos of the body, which was that of a chestnut
- Vet Rebuts Casner: Lasix Use Does Not Compromise A Horse’s Musculoskeletal SystemBecause Bill Casner has a deserved reputation as a fine owner and breeder of racehorses, I read with interest his article “Studies Show Some Therapeutic Medications Do More Harm Than Good,” appearing in the October 8, 2019, issue of the Paulick Report. I also did so because a significant part
- HOW MUCH U. S. EMPLOYMENT/UNEMPLOYMENT AFFECTS U. S. PARI-MUTUEL HANDLEThe U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the unemployment rate for September 2019 was 3.5%, which is the best performance in half a century. Moreover, the unemployment rates for women and minorities are at historic lows and real wages continue to rise for the broad swath of people
- Op/Ed: We Hired Two MillennialsWe hired two millennials and it enriched my perspective. While I may be considered young, I caution that assumption as I am closer to 50 than 20, and hiring two individuals in their 20’s has given me great hope for our sport. At this time I will focus on one,
- 2019 MELBOURNE CUPAustralia’s Melbourne Cup is held at the Flemington Racecourse in Victoria. The race was first run in 1861 and became so popular that its raceday has been a public holiday in Victoria since 1877. The Melbourne Cup is always run on the first Tuesday in November, on the 5th this
- Horse Racing Innovation, a Task None too SmallI read an interesting article by the Atlantic's Derek Thompson on Thomas Edison yesterday. The article, summarizing a book on the amazing man's life, touched on something we've been hearing about for some time - the incubation of innovation, or lack of it of late.Back in the 1870's, Edison created
- Pedigree Insights: QuadrilateralPerhaps one wouldn’t expect Wolverhampton’s all-weather track to have featured very often in Juddmonte’s extraordinary history, but the Dunstall Park circuit has indeed played its part. For example, it was over Wolverhampton’s Tapeta surface that Kingman’s son Emissary made a stylish debut three days ago, earning TDN Rising Star status
- Stakes Profile: Queen Elizabeth IIWhat kind of running style historically wins the Queen Elizabeth Challenge Cup? How have favorites performed? What are the average & median win payouts? We look at a cross section of chart data since 1991 to find out this and more.
- Canadian International News Minute: Who’s The One To Beat?Saturday marks the 82nd running of the Pattison Canadian International Stakes, anchoring a card at Woodbine Racetrack with a pair of other graded stakes leading up to the feature. In this Paulick Report News Minute, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick dive into the field. Who's the class of the group?
- The Friday Show Presented By Smiling Tiger: Will The Preakness Stay Put?The Stronach Group and the city of Baltimore recently announced a major agreement to overhaul Pimlico Racecourse and keep the Preakness in town for years to come, pending legislative approval. In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss the details of the deal and what
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike 10/10/19Mike and Mike talk harness racing every Thursday in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Pete Venaglia, Ayers Ratliff, Ron Burke, and Yannick Gingras The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike 10/10/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Canadian International News Minute: A Grand History With European FlairThe Paulick Report News Minute returns with the first of two special editions for Saturday's running of the venerable Pattison Canadian International at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto. In today's News Minute, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss the history of the event, which includes Secretariat's unforgettable final race, and they
- PETA CAN’T BE ACCOMMODATEDSeaWorld opened a theme park in the Cleveland, Ohio-area suburb of Aurora in 1970 and permanently closed it in 2000. The land on which the park was located was dormant until now, when it is about to be developed for residential and commercial use. People for the Ethical Treatment of
- The Business of Horse Racing’s Zero ExpectationI saw a tweet last evening -Winogrand is a vocal, documented PETA opponent, yet takes the same stance. The equine body count will not be ignored by MSM & animal welfare advocates. https://t.co/bA3Kw5wcyv— Teresa Genaro (@BklynBckstretch) October 9, 2019 We've seen - since last spring - many tweets or articles
- THE FIRST-EVER MILLION-DOLLAR STANDARDBRED AUCTION YEARLINGSNever had a Standardbred yearling been sold at auction for a million dollars, until October 1, 2019, at the Lexington (Kentucky) Selected Yearling Sale, held at the Fasig-Tipton Sales Pavilion. On the opening night of the five-day auction, two trotting colts broke the barrier. Maverick, by Father Patrick (career earnings,
- Casner: Studies Show Some Therapeutic Medications Do More Damage Than GoodArthur Hancock's powerful Op-Ed challenge “If Not Drugs, Then What is Causing Fatal Injuries?” spurred me to share some science that in my opinion makes the answer blatantly obvious. Recently, in preparation for a meeting, I gathered studies and data off of PubMed (National Public Medical Library) that pertained to
- Carlos Martin Ready for BC SpotlightThere are times when you just can’t help root for a horse, a trainer, or an owner. When you look at trainer Carlos Martin about to embark on the Breeders’ Cup trail with the brilliant filly Come Dancing, there are a number of thoughts that run through your head, at
- Pedigree Insights: Victor LudorumIt isn’t just the common law legal system which likes a precedent. Breeders love one too, to the extent that many prefer to have the reassurance that a mating represents a proven nick. However, when it comes to close inbreeding, such reassurance isn’t usually there to be found. Consequently, it
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Bill MottThe one you have been waiting for, the one we have been waiting for, the Bill Mott Stable Tour. In an annual tradition, Sean Clancy walked with the Hall of Famer, opening up screens, leaning over runners to meet Mott’s 30 horses stabled on the Oklahoma training track Friday morning.
- Fasig-Tipton Stable Tour with Barclay TaggRobin Smullen answered with the perfect two-word reply.