Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- BARN Podcast 7/18/18It's Opening Day at Del Mar so Jason is joined by handicapper Gino Buccola to discuss the opening day races one by one, the meet itself, and more! The post BARN Podcast 7/18/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Monomoy Girl and Midnight Bisou Clash in CCA OaksMonomoy Girl winning the Rags to Riches Stakes at Churchill Downs - Coady Photography The 2018 Saratoga Meet kicks off on Friday, July 20. Saturday's top races are the Grade 1 Diana and the Grade 3 Sanford. Horesplayers should look at both because there's a great chance that Saratoga lives
- first yearlings by triple crown winner american pharoah continue the sire’s contribution to the commercial marketplaceHeeee’s back! The first crop of colts and fillies by 2015 Horse of the Year American Pharoah are already yearlings of 2018, and a wee sampling of them were cataloged for the Fasig-Tipton July sale on July 10. During the horse’s first breeding season in 2016, the 2015 Triple Crown
- Grinding Down the Bankrolls of the MassesDavid Schwartz of UNLV wrote a neat article on blackjack in Forbes today (h/t to Charlie). In it he explores what's happened over the years as casinos have tried to make changes to the margins to earn more rake from each player. This includes 6-5 blackjacks and standing on a
- Fun, Free Contest for 2 NHC SeatsSummer officially arrived almost a month ago, but for most horseplayers the best part of it begins this week with the start of the boutique race meetings in Saratoga, NY and Del Mar, CA.I've already got dates on my calendar to hit the Spa -- less than a four-hour drive
- Breeders make it hard to stay in love with racingGood to be back. Greedy breeders continue to work against the good of the sport that has made them rich. They continue to retire budding superstars, horses who will hold the attention of the masses, prematurely. A couple of weeks ago, it was Merchant Navy, who in winning the Diamond
- Pedigree Insights: Crown WalkAt last week’s unmissable stallion parade at Dalham Hall Stud, mention was made of the comparative youth of the Darley stallion team, with the stallions on show featuring such as Brazen Beau, Buratino, Charming Thought, Golden Horn, Night of Thunder, Postponed, Profitable, Ribchester, Slade Power, Territories and The Last Lion.
- Saratoga Still an Elixir After Half a CenturyThe older I get the more Oscar Wilde’s words ring true – “The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.”In many ways, my mind has not advanced at the same rate as my number of years. The feelings of youth burn just
- Catholic Boy at a ‘Cross’ RoadsThe $400,000, grade 1 Secretariat Stakes at 1 1/4 miles on August 11 at Arlington Park looks like the logical spot for Catholic Boy to continue his brief but drama-filled rivalry with Analyze It. However, Catholic Boy isn't your normal 3-year-old grass horse. As consistent as he's been on grass last
- insurance to offset the risk of first-year infertility in stallion prospects may be getting more expensive outside kentuckyStallion farms based outside of Kentucky will no longer easily be able to purchase first-year infertility insurance on stallion prospects that are “lesser-priced horses,” according to well-placed sources with connections to the insurance agencies and stallion operations. Although not something that’s obvious to the general public, insurance against infertility is
- It’s Post Time by Jon White: Triple Crown Winner Justify Has Setback – XBTVWe find out things in oh so many different ways these days. I learned about Justify’s current plight via a BloodHorse “News Alert” email. When I read the following in the subject line of the email, I immediately thought, “Oh no.”
- Goddess, a potential queen for CamelotYesterday's maiden at Leopardstown for two-year-old fillies featured one particular intriguing runner who was having her second start. The aptly named Goddess crossed the line ten lengths ahead of her nearest pursuer Munees Gemini, a daughter of first crop sire Australia who like the other five runners in the field
- Mill Ridge Back in the Sire GameHeadley Bell, managing partner of Mill Ridge Farm in Lexington, favors long-sleeved button-down shirts and khakis, is exceedingly polite and gentlemanly, and has the unaffected air of a country squire about him. He has the pedigree to back up this image, as the grandson of Hal Price Headley, one of
- May’s Numbers Are In – Here’s My Completely Back of the Napkin Monmouth Sports Betting ProjectionsCrunk linked today's New Jersey gaming report, and here were some numbers.On $16.4M total handle, 7.8% hold. Full report can be found here (.pdf): https://t.co/FiHAbx0x19 https://t.co/bKx3dLefYs— o_crunk (@o_crunk) July 12, 2018 Doing a little math we see Monmouth did about $10.8M in handle for the couple of weeks they were
- The Kiddie List: A Romans trio and winning 2-year-oldsOver the last several years, the Kiddie List has reviewed the best and brightest of the 2-year-old crop, and has featured many accomplished runners and double-digit winners before they hit the national radar.We’ll review the fastest workers and blue bloods breezing four furlongs and farther on the New York, in
- A few minutes with @realBrianTrump owner of @RockinghamRanchWe’d like to thank @realBrianTrump for his time & insight. 5MTP: How did you get into the business? Brian: I got into the business by joining my father in law on a trip to Del Mar 6 years ago. He had just purchased a horse and it was running during
- Chad Brown Could Own the Travers StakesSoon, all eyes will be on the two biggest summer meets: Del Mar and Saratoga. Del Mar's opening day is on July 19. Only a day later, Saratoga opens its doors for yet another awesome meet. The highlight, like it is every year, is the Travers Stakes. Some consider the
- Stakes Profile: Delaware HandicapWhat kind of running style historically wins the Delaware Handicap? How have favorites performed? What are the average & median win payouts? We look at a cross section of chart data since 1991 to find out this and more.
- IS CHURCHILL DOWNS, INC. AN OVERVALUED HEDGE FUND?Churchill Downs, Inc. (CDI) is a key player in retail horse racing, especially because of its ownership of the American sport’s crown jewel, the Kentucky Derby. Howard Klein, a perceptive and respected gaming/leisure analyst and publisher of the casino investment site The House Edge evaluated CDI for Seeking Alpha on June
- DRF Players Podcast: July 10, 20180 DRF Players Podcast PTF and JK review weekend racing from Belmont. Next week is a special edition of the DRF Players' Podcast, discussing the opening of Saratoga and Del Mar. Please sign up for the Webinar at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5557137767143674626
- Pedigree Insights: IntellogentPrecedent counts for an awful lot in the world of horse racing and breeding: if something has happened once, people are generally prepared to bet that it can happen again, and again. So, when Teofilo became Europe’s champion 2-year-old of 2006, thanks to Group 1 victories in the National S.
- WinStar Has Sport’s Immediate Future in its HandsHALLANDALE BEACH, FL, July 8, 2018—Justify’s influence on Thoroughbred racing knows no bounds. He’s big, he’s bad, he’s world-wide. Thanks to America’s 13th Triple Crown winner and despite this country’s horsemen’s reticence to join the rest of the world regarding use of raceday medication, the big chestnut justifiably has had
- American Pharoah Headlines First Crop Stallions at Fasig-Tipton JulyAmerican Pharoah headlines this year's new siresThe first major yearling sale in the United States in 2018, this year’s Fasig Tipton July Sale has the distinction of offering the first American Pharoah horses of the yearling season among its 349 yearlings (before outs.) One hundred and nine sires will be
- The Greatest Horse of All TimeI won’t keep you in suspense, other than to say the premise of this column is a bit offbeat. The greatest horse of all time, if I may take the liberty, is Bob Baffert. Or to put it in equine terms, the greatest horse of all time, if I again
- 2018 Saratoga Meet PredictionsIn less than 2 weeks, the 2018 Saratoga Meet kicks off with the Grade 3 Schuylerville and the Grade 3 Lake George. Saratoga, year in and year out, is the most anticipated meet on the east coast. What's likely to happen at this year's Saratoga Meet? Check out my predictions!