Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- BARN Podcast 9/5/19We look ahead to some great stakes action this weekend from Kentucky Downs, Belmont Park, and Louisiana Downs. Jason also discusses a recent article that came out about gambling content. The post BARN Podcast 9/5/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- The Tantalizing Touts@bvalvsracing tweeted out a nice article last week about the touts. It talks a great deal about entertainment content versus hard-edged +EV predictions. Namely, it pays to tout for entertainment purposes, because it's sexier. That's why we see a lot of content presented like this -“The wrong team is favored
- RISK AVERSION AND LOSS AVERSIONA retired low 7-digit millionaire in her 70s recently told me that her instructions to the wealth manager investing her family’s portfolio is “just don’t lose any of our money.” Of course, a reputable and candid wealth manager can’t possibly guarantee such an outcome, unless he/she puts all of the
- BARN Podcast 9/4/19Jason makes an announcement about the BARN and we welcome in Byron King from Kentucky Downs to talk about the opening day, doing the morning line, and more! The post BARN Podcast 9/4/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- BARN Podcast 9/3/19We look back at a busy Labor Day weekend of racing including Woodward Day at Saratoga, the Virginia Derby at Colonial, and much more! The post BARN Podcast 9/3/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Pedigree Insights: GhaiyyathDubawi‘s colourful story is a perfect reminder that attitudes–and prices–are constantly changing in the bloodstock world. Subject to the usual difficulties which face young stallions before their progeny prove themselves, Dubawi was priced at only £15,000 in his fourth year in 2009, having attracted no more than 91 mares in
- ENABLE: THE MOUNTAINTOPThe racing public loves them all, from the superstars to those that run their hearts out each and every time without ever mounting the steps of glory. But then there are those very few who break through to steal your heart away. So it is with Enable. I
- code of honor stakes out new territory for galileo’s branch of sadler’s wells male lineVictory in the Grade 1 Travers Stakes at Saratoga made Code of Honor (by Noble Mission) the seventh 3-year-old colt of 2019 to win a G1 stakes in the States at nine furlongs or farther on dirt. The others are Maximum Security (Florida Derby, Haskell), Roadster (Santa Anita Derby), Omaha
- One to GoIt’s 8:32 Friday night. Issue 33. Column 33. I just drank a double espresso cold brew from High Brew Coffee. Fifty calories. 130-150 mg of caffeine.
- Might Limari Offer Value?In the 7th race at Kentucky Downs on Saturday, Brad Cox’s Limari figures to enter the gate as the favorite, and given the composition of the field, the 5/2 morning line looks about right. A review of the replays of Limari’s last two races shows that she encountered significant trouble
- The Tragedy of Steve Byk’s ShowRace fans are pretty starved for modern content. The podcasts have arrived, but they are “content that fills time” at best. Good podcasts in other arenas are cool because they exist outside of conventional media, and talented people who would not get exposure in “the system” because their dad wasn’t
- Gambling – Skill Game Success Must Be AchievableI was reading the Atlantic's Derek Thompson's book Hitmakers this week. Thompson explores a lot when it comes to marketing, business and human psychology and I found it kind of interesting.One section of the book is devoted to why some games catch on and some don't, where he introduced a
- A Runner“She was a runner.” That’s how Randy Romero signed a photo of Personal Ensign winning the 1988 Whitney. That was it, simple and oh so sweet. Just like the man.
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 8/29/19Mike and Mike talk harness racing every Thursday in the BetAmerica Radio Network. The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 8/29/19 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- DigitalJohn Wayne Eastwood opened the office door and began to rant. “Hey, I can’t find the paper anywhere this morning.” Tom Law, ever the traffic cop, tempered the situation from the first chair in the office, strategically placed for situations like this (I hid in the back office). “We don’t
- BARN Podcast 8/30/19It's Friday and we're looking ahead to the big closing weekend cards at Saratoga and Del Mar. We'll also discuss Virginia Derby night at Colonial Downs. Then the BARN Jury will join us to talk about their favorite moments of the summer. The post BARN Podcast 8/30/19 appeared first on
- Velazquez Honors Clemente With Every RideIn 2011, Joe Dietrick made his annual trip to Saratoga Race Course from his home in northeast Pennsylvania. He’s come here for decades, and when he was younger, he’d park his mobile home in Saratoga for the whole meet. On that day in 2011, Dietrick was with his son Jon
- The Day Rachel Rocked the SpaThis Saturday will mark the 10th anniversary of Rachel Alexandra's gut-wrenching victory in the Woodward Stakes that culminated arguably the most remarkable season ever by a 3-year-old filly. The race would prove costly not only to Rachel but those who tested her in one of the emotionally charged races
- Missing ItIt’s that time of year. The Travers has come and gone, the downward slide has begun. To celebrate our final print edition (the final four Specials will be digital only), I bring you the annual “I’ll miss. I won’t miss” column.
- Pedigree Insights: Mums TippleSadly, the stallion career of the hugely popular Giant’s Causeway petered out a little earlier than his many admirers would have wanted, with the champion son of Storm Cat being credited with only 15 foals in 2018, the year he covered nine mares before his death in April. He was
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE CAN ASSIST STEWARDS TO MAKE DQ DECISIONS FASTER AND MORE ACCURATELYThree stewards took over 20 minutes to decide whether to disqualify Maximum Security in the 2019 Kentucky Derby. Artificial intelligence (AI) could have made a decision instantanteously and more scientifically. Following the lead of sports like professional baseball and world-class gymnastics, racetracks and state racing authorities should explore how to
- Well, Wow Cat suckedLosing money at the track, while occasionally fun, is never a good thing. Losing money on a horse that you touted not just on your own website, but on Horse Racing Nation, is also not desirable. But do you wanna know what’s even worse? I’m gonna tell ya. What’s even
- LoneSpeed Play of the DaySaratoga Race 10- #9 Lady Trish’s Dream Usually, when a horse ran 9th of 11 and 11th of 12 in his or her two most recent starts, I’ll make one courtesy attempt to find an excuse before moving on to another competitor. However, in the case of Lady Trish’s Dream
- medaglia d’oro sweeps g1 double at del mar with higher power, cambier parcThe Darley stallion Medaglia d’Oro sired the winners of both Grade 1 events in California on Saturday, Aug. 17: the Pacific Classic and the Del Mar Oaks. One of the consistent factors in American breeding for top-quality stock that race well at distances of a mile and beyond, Medaglia d’Oro is a leading son
- Cup of Coffee: ReplaysThe first one I remember watching, really watching, was 1982. Joey and I finished watering off at the barn and drove the farm truck to the racing office at Delaware Park. There, we watched the Travers. It was the first time we had watched a race from another track at