Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- The Friday Show Presented By The Match Series: Preakness Edition, Sports Betting’s Impact?This week's Supreme Court decision on sports gambling clearly has the horse racing industry buzzing about its potential impact. In this week's Friday Show from Baltimore, Scott Jagow and Ray Paulick discuss that issue and hear from others in the industry with their takes on what it might mean for
- 2018 Black-Eyed Susan Day stakes picksRace 5 | Skipat Stakes | 6 furlongs 1. Vertical Oak 2. Ms. Locust Point 3. Startwithsilver 4. Cairenn Comment: A wet surface could help Vertical Oak and Ms. Locust Point. Giving Vertical Oak the edge with a stakes win over the track at the distance and the better morning line price (and a
- 2018 Black Eyed Susan Pick: GoodonehoneyAlthough it pays just a quarter of the purse of the Kentucky Oaks and is a grade below, I still treat the second leg of the "Filly Triple Crown" -- the Black Eyed Susan Stakes -- as a major stakes and will allocate a $50 bankroll, similar to two weeks
- BARN Podcast 5/18/18We start our look ahead to the weekend and discuss the Preakness undercard. The BARN Jury joins the show to talk about how they think the Preakness will work out and more. The post BARN Podcast 5/18/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- The Haiku Handicapper: 2018 Preakness StakesJoe Nevills, sales editor for the Daily Racing Form and columnist for Arabian Finish Line, analyzes the 2018 Preakness Stakes field in the form of Haiku; a Japanese poem of 17 syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five.#1 - QuipBypassed the DerbyTo be Justify's wingmanTough break for you,
- Strategy Could Play a Big Part in the PreaknessSlop or no slop, the Preakness Stakes looks pretty cut-and-dried on paper, or perhaps it should be cut-and-wet. The likely sloppy track will be nothing new to Justify and Good Magic, the two standout horses who dominate the morning line odds, with Justify being made an overwhelming 1-2 favorite. The
- HRI Preakness Consensus Highly JustififedJustified, the 1-2 early line favorite for the middle leg of Thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown, has the look of the 1927 Yankees. The advance odds made Bob Baffert wince at yesterday's post draw presser, the Hall of Famer stating that it surely applies a lot of added pressure. What Baffert
- Woodlawn, my, WoodlawnLibrary of Congress photoYes, it’s tired, but it’s true. It’s time for the annual reminder by this blog, and in the spirit of its predecessor blog, to remind the good citizens of Maryland that the treasured prize for their Preakness Stakes, the Woodlawn Vase, is a Kentucky prize. We’ll spare
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 5/17/18Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Darin Zocalli, Jason Settlemoir, Janine Gesek, Rich Mattei, and Matt Kakaley The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 5/17/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Churchill Downs Inc.’s long road to New JerseyDay Three of the new world order in the sports betting and online gambling world saw an analysis of Churchill Downs Inc.’s possibilities by this blog become dated before anyone else read it. The pace of this race set in motion by Monday’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling will be fast.
- Racing might not benefit from sports bettingThe legalization of sports betting this week is being looked upon as a big plus for horse racing. But there are many reasons why the anticipated benefits might not materialize. Meanwhile, the unanticipated entry of Eclipse champion Good Magic has made the Preakness more than a walk in the park
- BARN Podcast 5/17/18It's our Preakness Roundtable as we discuss all of the contenders in Saturday's big race as well as the Black-Eyed Susan and Pimlico Special! The post BARN Podcast 5/17/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- My 2018 Preakness Stakes PicksThe 2018 Preakness Stakes is here. Unlike most everyone else on the planet, I don't believe that Justify is a lock. In fact, I'm leaving Justify out of my exacta. I explain why, along with releasing my Top 4 in the following blog. My 2018 Preakness Stakes Picks 1. Tenfold Sounds
- 2018 Preakness Cheat SheetNeed to quickly get up to speed on the 2018 Preakness field? If not, share this thumbnail of the field with your friends and family who don’t follow racing as closely as you do!
- Some Sports Wagering Information re Disparate State Gambling RulesFollowing is a Press Release from a gambling site in the U.K. You may find this of interest, hence, it appears below Now that sports betting has been legalized, there's never been a better time to dive deeper into the most (and least) accepted forms of gambling in the US
- THE GREATEST PREAKNESSThe late ABC-TV sports announcer and Thoroughbred-horse owner Jim McKay said the 1989 Preakness was “the best race that I have ever witnessed.” It certainly was the best and closest Preakness in history. Although Sunday Silence had beaten favored Easy Goer two weeks before in the Kentucky Derby, by 2
- The Dichotomy of Gambling PricingGood morning everyone.I caught a tweet this morning which says:.@WilliamHillUS plans to offer same lines, odds and betting menu in New Jersey as they do in Nevada. Betting will begin over the counter only, until gaming enforcement and legislature sets regulations for mobile wagering.— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) May 16,
- Stakes Profile: PreaknessWhat kind of running style historically wins the Preakness? How have favorites performed? What are the average & median win payouts? We look at a cross section of chart data since 1991 to find out this and more.
- Dutrow To Racing Community: If Given A Second Chance, I Won’t Let You DownKentucky Derby and Preakness-winning trainer Rick Dutrow has written an open letter to members of the Thoroughbred community, communicating his hope that the New York State Gaming Commission will reconsider the 10-year suspension he received in 2011 for an accumulation of rules violations from the regulatory board's predecessor, the New
- Breaking News via Cub Reporter – “Emergency Horse Racing Braintrust Meeting Called”Cub Reporter never fails to amaze all of us.The throwback part reporter part gumshoe, just texted with some huge breaking news."They're meeting right now." he said."Who?", I texted back."Magna, Churchill, Chris Kay, Daruty, even people from California who never come to these things", he said.According to Cub (not his real
- May 15, 2018Catlaunch 2001-2018 Everybody on the farm loved Catlaunch, and “the Cat” loved everybody. Here are some thoughts about him by three of his daily companions, some of his many friends, some of the people with whom he shared special bonds. “Catlaunch was one of the most gentle
- justify brings an elusive victory in the kentucky derby to the storm cat lineWith his game victory under trying conditions in the May 5 Kentucky Derby, Justify brushed a couple of tedious talking points into the dustbin of history. The most obvious is the wretched “curse of Apollo,” as the unbeaten colt became first Kentucky Derby winner in more than a century not
- DRF Players Podcast: May 15, 20180 DRF Players Podcast Special guest Craig Bernick joins JK and PTF to talk about what legalized sports betting means for racing. Plus, a look ahead to the Preakness and the debut event of the World Horseplayers’ Tour. The DRF Players’ Podcast covers the top stories in horse racing,
- Hofburg Enjoying Life at the SpaWhile many of the leading Preakness contenders are preparing for the second jewel in the Triple Crown at Churchill Downs and Belmont Park, several of them coming out of the Kentucky Derby, there is one horse likely waiting for the Belmont Stakes who is tucked away far from the action,
- Legal Sports Betting Brings Out Some Serious Hot TakesLegal sports betting is upon us, as the Supreme Court says (this is not high-level legal analysis, I just bet horses) the old laws were bad, and because they were bad, they are kind of moot now.The reaction to this has been, well, pretty interesting.The first reaction, and we've seen