Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 11/8/18Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured Julie Miller, Myron Bell, Ken Weingartner, and Linda Toscano. The post Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 11/8/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Facts distorted in anti-racing backlashI’m usually torn between loving the fact the Melbourne Cup gives racing a chance to be front and centre, and cringing at the ineptitude of general media when faced with the intricacies of our industry. This year was no different with the usual raft of dumb questions from badly briefed
- Gulfstream’s coincidental Eclipse draught will endureGulfstream stages some of the finest racing in the nation. Bulletin's BC triumph is the latest sign that the summer program is catching up to the prime winter meet. Yet in a strange coincidence, this will be the fourth straight year in which none of the Eclipse champions will have
- Tourney Talk- My BCBC FlopThe reason I can sleep at night in spite of a couple of hugely moronic decisions I made in the BCBC is that I was never making money with the final three races being won by Monomoy Girl, Enable, and Accelerate. It’s not that I didn’t respect those horses. In
- A WARNING SHOT THAT SHOULD CONCERN THE NORTH AMERICAN HORSE-RACING WORLDOn election night 2018, Florida voters banned dog racing with 69% of those casting ballots in favor of passing Amendment 13 to the Florida constitution. Florida follows five other states that have outlawed dog racing in the past two decades. By 2020, Florida’s eleven greyhound tracks will close to racing,
- Breeders’ Cup Presents Connections: Aguilar ‘Never Imagined’ He’d Groom A ChampionFor a young boy growing up in Guatemala City, the “American Dream” probably felt like just that, a faraway dream. On Saturday, however, Darwin Aguilar watched his charge Monomoy Girl run into the history books in the Breeders' Cup Distaff and found himself in awe at the path his life
- Bricks and Mortar: Superstar Miler in the Making?By J. Keeler Johnson ("Keelerman") Twitter: @J_Keelerman It's not every week that I single out a listed stakes race as the feature race for an Unlocking Winners blog post, much less a rather obscure one-mile turf race at Aqueduct on a quiet weekend in November. But when I examined the
- It’s Post Time by Jon White: Breeders’ Cup RecapVENUE: Churchill Downs on Nov. 2-3. Main Track: dirt, fast Friday and Saturday; Turf Course listed as yielding by Equibase on Friday; Turf Course listed as yielding by Equibase for Saturday’s Turf Sprint; Turf Course listed as good by Equibase for Saturday’s Filly & Mare Turf, Saturday’s Mile and Saturday’s
- Ghosts of racetracks past: The birth, death, rebirth, and finale demise of Garden State ParkOur Ghosts of Racetracks Past series continues with the story of Garden State Park - a track that overcame World War II and a devastating fire but couldn't outrun time or its competition. The post Ghosts of racetracks past: The birth, death, rebirth, and finale demise of Garden State Park
- BARN Podcast 11/8/18It's Day 2 of our interview with Inside the Pylons continuing our conversation on wagering and answering questions that the listeners sent in. The post BARN Podcast 11/8/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Kentucky Farm Time Capsule: Before It Belonged To Kitten’s Joy, Almahurst Raised ExterminatorCentral Kentucky is filled with properties that have produced quality horseflesh over the course of centuries, but few can boast the kind of diverse resume seen from Almahurst Farm, known today as Ramsey Farm. Though its history pre-dates the formation of the state in which it resides, Almahurst's time as
- Good Opinions, Bad Opinions, and Where We Go From HereIt’s been nearly four full days since Accelerate took down the Breeders’ Cup Classic, and I’ve had plenty of time to travel home, play with the kids, do a ton of laundry, and watch election coverage on TV. I’ve also had time to gather my thoughts about not just the
- a dream filly come true, fairyland a star at the sales and now at the racecourseWhile inspecting and measuring yearlings last fall in Newmarket for Book 1 of the Tattersalls yearling sale, I saw a lot of really nice yearlings. But even among the well-grown and athletic prospects on the spacious grounds at Tattersalls, there was a filly who stood out as extra special. Walking
- WEALTHIEST AMERICANS IN HORSE RACING, 2018The annual Forbes “definitive ranking of the wealthiest Americans,” better known as The Forbes 400, includes at least seven individuals who particpate in horse racing in a major way. Six of the seven are racehorse owners and the other owns two racetracks. John Malone. Age 77. Net worth $7.5 billion. Forbes
- BARN Podcast 11/7/18 “Inside the Pylons Day 1We sit down for a 90 minute chat with professional horseplayer "Inside the Pylons" covering ground about handicapping, horseplaying, betting theory, ticket structure, dealing with favorites, racing industry talk, and much more! The post BARN Podcast 11/7/18 “Inside the Pylons Day 1 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- The Horse of the Year Horse Race of 2018Could there be a better day—a day that separates this country from most of the rest of the world--than to reveal an early ballot cast Sunday? No, not that ballot, the NTRA one posted the day after Breeders’ Cup XXXV. The NTRA National Poll--as opposed to the 3-year-old Poll that
- THE PRINCE’S GIFT: ENABLE AT BREEDERS CUP 2018ENABLE as a foal. A Juddmonte homebred, she is the product of 30 years of careful and skillful breeding decisions made by Prince Khalid Abdullah and his advisors. She was not the first Arc winner to show up at the Breeders Cup, but she was the first dual Arc
- BARN Podcast 11/6/18We continue our recap of the Breeders' Cup as we move on to the early BC races from Saturday as well as the five two year-old races from the Friday Breeders' Cup program. The post BARN Podcast 11/6/18 appeared first on BetAmerica Extra.
- Kentucky Farm Time Capsule: European Imports Left Their Mark At Idle Hour Stock FarmIt's not unusual, when you look at one of Kentucky's historic Thoroughbred farms, to find the land has changed hands through the ages. Each new owner brings a little of their own flair to the operation; bloodlines and business plans change. There is something of an exception on one piece
- Jumping Around Podcast: Guy Torsilieri from Far Hills RacesGuy Torsilieri is the co-chair of the Far Hills Races, president of the National Steeplechase Association and the man behind the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. If that's not enough to make you listen, you're in the wrong podcast.
- inpredictable: Introducing roboCap: An automated horse race handicapperI have created a new tool, roboCap, that uses these rankings to create projected closing odds for any chosen field of horses. The rest of this post gets into the technical details of how this all works, but if you just want to play around with it, here's a quick
- Pedigree Insights: Expert EyeYou’ll hardly need me to tell you that Saturday was a historic day for Juddmonte Farms, with Prince Khalid Abdullah’s colours being carried to victory in two of the main Breeders’ Cup events. Thanks to Expert Eye in the Mile and Enable in the Turf, Juddmonte has now had seven
- PR Special Keeneland November: California Chrome’s First FoalsThe Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale begins a 12-day run today in Lexington, Ky., with the first horse scheduled to enter the ring at noon EST. Subsequent sessions begin at 10 a.m. Once again, the Paulick Report is pleased to offer its printed newsletter, the PR Special, distributed on the
- Breeders’ Cup Day 2: Bringing Out the Best in Man and BeastA terrific prelude to Breeders’ Cup Saturday, the return of Florida Derby winner and Kentucky Derby show finisher Audible in the seven furlong Cherokee Run Stakes, and what a comeback performance it was. In an effort that was largely anti-profile all weekend, Audible came from far back with a wide
- Breeders’ Cup: Bringing Out the Best in Man and BeastA terrific prelude to Breeders’ Cup Saturday, the return of Florida Derby winner and Kentucky Derby show finisher Audible in the seven furlong Cherokee Run Stakes, and what a comeback performance it was. In an effort that was largely anti-profile all weekend, Audible came from far back with a wide