Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Legendary standardbred racehorse and stallion Somebeachsomewhere euthanizedWorld champion, Hall of Famer, leading stallion and legendary standardbred racehorse Somebeachsomewhere was euthanized Sunday afternoon (Jan. 14) at Mid-Atlantic Veterinary Center in Ringoes, NJ after a short battle with cancer. Somebeachsomewhere had just turned 13 on Jan. 1. It’s devastating. It’s a terrible day,” said Brent MacGrath, the trainer
- Is this a new beginning for a horse who once seemed to be a star in waiting?There was a point last year when you might have thought Frontiersman had the world at his feet. He has a pedigree to die for, he had just been an impressive runner-up in a prestigious Group 1, he appeared to be progressing significantly, and he’s owned by a vast organisation
- HORSE RACING; WHO AND WHAT’S NEXT ON THE HORIZON? ANYTHING MIND BLOWING?By Hans Ebert@hanseberthk No one can always win though there are always the Walter Mitty characters in horse racing who claim they do and then, at least these days, take to Facebook to show them #winning with lots of BOOMS and BANGS. But as someone relatively new to the sport
- BARN Podcast 1/15/18Our first show after missing last week, Jason discusses what happened and why he was gone and more.
- Hard Work Being a Weekend WarriorDamn, there’s just no down time in this game. Maybe a Christmas fortnight to New Year’s, but then there’s the December 26 Santa Anita opener. What’s a weary horseplayer to do? I mention this because while at Gulfstream Park playing their program yesterday, my head was on a swivel as
- Legendary standardbred racehorse and stallion Somebeachsomewhere euthanized“It’s devastating. It’s a terrible day,” said trainer and co-owner Brent MacGrath. “He got short changed and the industry got short changed, big time, in the breeding side. He should have bred well into his 20s.” by Dave Briggs World champion, Hall of Famer, leading stallion and legendary standardbred racehorse
- Watchmaker: Instilled Regard intriguing Derby prospectThanks to the presence of Instilled Regard, who was right with some of the West's best 3-year-olds when moved up to second in the roughly run Los Alamitos Futurity, and Principe Guilherme, who won his first two career starts like a potential star, everyone agreed Saturday's Lecomte Stakes at Fair
- TOWERINGBig day for popular Canadian bred TOWER OF TEXAS; Woodbine Oaks contender WONDER GADOT upset; Rainbow 6 carryover is now almost $2 million… RAINBOW PICK 6 STILL GOING – 6 WINNERS SATURDAY PAID $104k Gulfstream Park’s 20-cent Rainbow 6 will have a carryover Sunday of $1,980,363.70 when racing resumes
- HRU Feedback (2018-01-14)*Editor’s note: Most of the following letters concerning the new integrity rule being implemented by WEG and the Jeff Gural-owned tracks were written after the original story about the rule was published in last Sunday’s HRU (full story here), but please note the rule is currently being tweaked, in part,
- Hovdey: Bacharach longs to be close to fire-relief effortsFifty years ago, Burt Bacharach bought his first racehorse, named Battle Royal, for $15,000. That's about how much he was worth, but Bacharach was hard to discourage. One horse led to another – Advance Guard, Crumbs, Nikkis Promise – all of them a teasing introduction to eventual success with
- SIXPEGASUS WORLD CUP – 2 weeks, race still needs one more entry SHARP AZTECA – image by Vanessa Ng, horse-races.net The Stronach Group has sold 2 of the 3 spots for its own race, the Pegasus World
- Rookie Stallions Make For An Interesting TrailThis year’s ITM Irish Stallion Trail caught me slightly unawares as it was brought forward two weeks from its original end of January slot. As this was my third year to follow the trail I decided that having concentrated on Leinster based studs the previous two occasions – as one
- The Friday Show Presented By Cal Racing Cares: Redesigning The Future?A visit to most of the newer Major League Baseball stadiums is a vastly different experience than it once was, thanks to a rethinking of the location and design of modern ballparks. Is horse racing on the verge of a similar shift? In this edition of The Friday Show, Scott
- SWING**SOVEREIGN AWARD Voting begins today for the 30+ voters across Canada – The Jockey Club of Canada has issued ballots and passwords as well as information packages on some of the horses and humans one may vote for in all categories. Voters have 2 weeks to complete and submit
- WHEN IS HORSE RACING GOING TO REALLY GO GLOBAL (AND LEARN FROM THE CLUTTER HAPPENING AROUND THE WORLD)?By Hans Ebert@hanseberthk When lost, one takes a scattergun approach hoping for the best. We’re buried today in hashtags, clutter, transparent hypocrisy, and sanctimonious bollocks which is bought without questioning. Here and now “righteous” indignation has become a trend before being swallowed up by whatever will trend next. Trending is
- Q & A: John DooleyWith the start of the prep season for the Kentucky Derby focused on Fair Grounds for the GIII LeComte S. Saturday, we talked to longtime Fair Grounds and Arlington racecaller John Dooley about how he got involved with racing, what influence the city of New Orleans has had on his
- Post Time w/ Mike and Mike Harness Show 1/11/18Mike and Mike talk harness every Thursday morning in the BetAmerica Radio Network. This week featured the Jim Miller, Moose Zonjic, John Butenshoen, and Clay Horner!
- Reminiscence: Horse racing on TV’s golden age shows * The Racing BizThoroughbred racing fans today have grown accustomed to seeing the sport televised live virtually year-round on the Television Games Network (TVG) and occasionally on ESPN and NBC when major races are on the slate. But it may seem hard to fathom that at one time horse racing was once a
- Racing ‘Moment of the Year’ is no contestGun Runner will be the star of the show on Eclipse Awards night, Jan. 25. But nothing the certain Horse of the Year did in 2017 came close to matching Arrogate's jaw-dropping rally from last to win the Dubai World Cup. It was not only a Moment of the Year
- Hovdey: Motion gets in rhythm with WHOA movementThe movement toward passage of the ambitiously named Horse Racing Integrity Act picked up a gust of steam this week with the announcement by trainer Graham Motion, trainer of Derby winner Animal Kingdom and champion Main Sequence, that he was signing on as a supporter of the Water Hay
- OUTLOOK FOR U. S. YEARLING AUCTION PRICES IN 2018The bloodstock market is multifaceted, with bloodstock sales encompassing, for example, weanlings, yearlings, broodmares, 2-year-olds in training, and horses of racing age. The market is also divided into private sales versus auction sales. The most closely watched indicator of the overall economic health of the bloodstock market is the average
- January 10, 2018Are you out of the starting gate on the right lead this year? Do you have the 2018 Old Friends Calendar yet? What about your 2018 Old Friends membership? An Old Friends membership doesn’t just give you free admission to tours of our farms, it also gets you free general
- PR Special Keeneland January: Young Sire First FoalsToday, the Paulick Report offers a second print edition available here and on the grounds at Keeneland, where the January Horses of All Ages Sale continues. In this edition of the PR Special, Natalie Voss resumes her look at medication in racing from the British perspective. Frank Mitchell turns the
- Wednesday’s Wagering and Racing NotesGood morning everyone.Yonkers ditched the passing lane this week, and the early results are quite interesting. Two particular tactics I see being employed by drivers are adding to the excitement (and prices) of the races. First, we're seeing movement from the three hole quicker, because brushing by to the lead
- 2018 Derby Points ScheduleLast Saturday’s Sham Stakes at Santa Anita, won by McKinzie, was the first Kentucky Derby points race of 2018, and that means the big Derby prep schedule and results spreadsheet is back for another season.