Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Competition And Collaboration In Latin AmericaWhen Argentina's Roman Rosso crossed the finish as the one-length winner of Sunday's US$500,000 Gran Premio Latinoamericano at the Maroñas racetrack in Montevideo, Uruguay, it was not just a victory for the connections of the 3-year-old son of Roman Ruler. All Argentine horsemen and racing fans shared in the glory
- Can We Justify the Hype? By Jonathan StettinIn this week's column for AmWager I talk about the hype surrounding Justify. Is it justified, and should we just hand over the roses to him now? Read our Past the Wire column for AmWager here.....
- QUARTER HORSE NEWS MARCH 14ONTARIO HORSE OF THE YEAR – Quarter Horse Greats Past Champions GO SMASHING BABY – a 3-time Ontario Horse of the Year owned by Christine Tavares and trained by Joe Tavares – Photo courtesy of New Image Media CORRECTION – In a recent news release regarding the 2017
- They’re embarrassed already, but is real humiliation next for these regulators? | TRCThis case begins with suspicions of hidden ownership and program trainers (hiding the identity of the actual trainers). Regulators then issued subpoenas and suspensions. Those actions turn into charges of unjustified, unprivileged, and unlawful acts of a Pennsylvania regulator towards its horsemen.
- Little Tampa Bay Puts on Big Time ShowEven if for one day--with Aqueduct staging a Gotham all-stakes Pick 4 and Santa Anita, with its all graded-stakes Pick 3, two G1s and the San Felipe--it was the little track that could, Tampa Bay Downs, which put on the deepest card in the U.S. and best in its history.
- Racing leaders continue to ignore drug problems | Tom NoonanThe aversion of racing’s leaders to meaningful uniform anti-doping initiatives continues. Most recently, the CEO of the National Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Agency, Eric Hamelback, once again opposed federal legislation that would place racing under the authority of a national agency. Unfortunately, Hamelback’s opposition was premised on a false statement
- Derby Dozen – March 13, 2018 – Presented by Shadwell Farm1 Bolt d’Oro Mick Ruis Medaglia d'Oro—Globe Trot, by A.P. Indy In the context of the Kentucky Derby, both Bolt d’Oro, placed first from second in the San Felipe Stakes (G2), and McKinzie, disqualified from first to second, are two exceptional colts who ran their hearts out, got a
- Derby Trail Tracker: The Big Two Heat Up PaceThe action on the Kentucky Derby Trail was fast and furious over a half-hour’s time last Saturday. I think that the Santa Anita stewards’ decision in the Grade 2 San Felipe Stakes took longer to finalize than it took to run three Derby points races at three different tracks from coast
- Trip Notes with Robert Criscola: Tuesday, March 13, 2018Trip Notes 3/13/18 We’ll hop around the country in this week’s trip notes column, highlighting races from Santa Anita, Tampa Bay and Oaklawn, all of which happened on different days. Thursday Santa Anita Race 4: #7 TRUSTWORTHY TRUSTWORTHY was very wide on both turns in this 1 1/16th-mile heat, but
- Automatic Bids, Qualifying Points Provide Clarity for FansAs last-second shots fly, setting off celebrations or disappointment during this weekend's men's college basketball tournament, every fan understands what's on the line: a trip to the NCAA Tournament.In recent years, horse racing's biggest events have done a decent job of providing similar clarity for fans through such tools as
- frizette proved herself an historic find among selling racers a century agoOne of the lines of commonality between Grade 2 Fountain of Youth winner Promises Fulfilled (by Shackleford) and Davona Dale winner Fly So High (Malibu Moon) is a famous old mare who became a landmark producer, so important that the G1 Frizette Stakes for 2-year-old fillies is named in her
- Hovdey: Accelerate left others spinning their wheelsHis trainer, John Sadler, leavened the thrill of his first Santa Anita Handicap victory with a dose of reality. “I think you'll find that a sealed, sloppy track like this will help a good mile-and-an-eighth horse get a mile and a quarter,” Sadler said as he watched a replay of
- Sparkman: Fitting the moldBrereton and Libby Jones's Airdrie Stud has never been in the market for the $10 million stallion coming off the racetrack. Airdrie has focused instead on horses just below that top tier, horses of proven top-class ability with perhaps a bit of a hole in their race records or pedigrees
- Cheltenham sires to followWith the famous Cheltenham Festival beginning tomorrow, here is a look at some stallions who could produce a festival scorer.Saddler MakerA lightly raced son of Sadler's Wells. Saddler Maker is no stranger to Cheltenham success having sired Grade 1 winning hurdler Apple's Jade as well as Stayers runner up Alpha
- SUPERLATIVESPHOTO OF THE WEEKEND! Young AIDEN helped deliver his first foal, this lovely filly by first year sire RELOAD. Owned and bred by his grandmother SUE FOREMAN, the filly is from the mare Skybound
- Cheltenham: Monday MorningWelcome back to England. Cheltenham looms.
- McKinzie DQ’d in San Felipe and Bolt d’ Oro Declared Winner in a Controversial CallStewards make some interesting and inconsistent decisions. When you have subjective rules like if it cost another horse a better placing, or a chance at a better placing, and did it affect the outcome, you leave the door open for disagreement and argument. One could argue a foul always
- The Forgotten OnesTake advantage of Past the Wire's discount on Formulator. Get the most out of your past performances with customizable features, see what you want to see and need to see, search statistics and improve your game. Use our Promo Code PTWF10 for a 10% discount on any Formulator package, whether you are a new or existing
- Cheonji Storm Blows Away Final Boss-Less Field In SROA Chairman’s TrophyCheonji Storm romped home to win the first Group race of the year in Korea, comfortably scoring in the Seoul Racehorse Owners’ Association Chairman’s Trophy at Seoul Racecourse on Sunday afternoon. The race was billed as a re-run of January’s Segye Ilbo Trophy with all five top place-getters in that
- Racing in the DPLADouble Trouble at Santa Anita (Los Angeles Public Library) Depending on how you search, there are anywhere from more than 3,000 to more than 5,000 items in the Digital Public Library of America related to horse racing, such as the photo above, which depicts: a beautiful black horse, identified as
- March 9, 2018On February 14, 1998, Alydar’s daughter Twenty Eight Carat delivered a special valentine, a handsome bay son by A. P. Indy. He was raced by former University of Kentucky Wildcats coach Rick Pitino’s Ol’ Memorial Stable (then called Celtic Pride Stable), and it’s not hard to guess why they named
- Hovdey: Former stars now just old folks on the farmWise Dan lets you lead him around and snap a photo. Declan's Moon will stop goofing off with his mates long enough to take a carrot. Main Sequence lords over the paddock already made famous by a previous occupant. And among the peaceful herd at his owner's Pennsylvania farm is
- HORSE-RACE BETTING AND RATIONALITY: PART 3Continued from Part 2 on February 25, 2018 One of the most interesting findings from the research of psychologists Daniel Kahneman (Nobel Laureate in Economic Sciences) and the late Amos Tversky is that people generally want to avoid losses more than they desire to attain gains. Michael Lewis provides examples
- Racetrackers – HUGE handicapping show – Big ‘cap; Tampa Bay Derby and GothamBob, Bill and Mike cover the cards at Santa Anita, Tampa Bay Downs and Aqueduct. Santa Anita Big cap,, Tampa Bay Derby and the Gotham cards. coast to coast.
- 2018 Kentucky Derby: Promises Fulfilled pedigree profilePromises Fulfilled galloped away from nine other colts in the 1 1/16-mile Grade 2 Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Saturday and, in the process, the Dale Romans trainee earned 50 qualifying points toward a berth in the 2018 Kentucky Derby.Drawing widest of all, Irad Ortiz, Jr. gunned Promises Fulfilled