Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- For the Love of a HorseDespite the controversies and horse racing continually working to reinvent itself with modern technology, the sport’s future will remain bright as long as the Thoroughbred can captivate us like no other animal and inspire deep passion in people starting at a young age. It is the centuries-old love of the
- For the love of the sport, post the inquiryFortunately, the 144th Preakness Stakes was decided on the racetrack instead of in the stewards’ room. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t some rules drama. Whether Bodexpress should have been ruled a non-starter is a much closer call than the clearly proper disqualification of Maximum Security from the top spot
- Korean Oaks Day 2019: Race-By-Race Preview For Busan & Seoul (May 19)The 2019 Korean Oaks takes place at Busan Racecourse on Sunday afternoon and a full field of 16 runners are set to assemble for the fillies’ Classic. There are 6 races in total at Busan from 12:40 to 17:10 while at Seoul there are eleven races from 10:45 to 18:00.
- Thinking about 1984, the Tesio, the Preakness & familyApril 14, 1984 makes it more than 35 years ago now. A crowded Pimlico Race Course winner’s circle in the rain. Muddy chestnut horse. Fourteen people. Mom, Dad, Sheila, Sean, Fee the Iranian van driver, owner George Strawbridge, his wife Nina, their kids Sanna and Stewart, super fan Reddy Stewart,
- Travel VlogsLong time no post! I’ve been busy traveling and staying out here on the East Coast in New Jersey. I’ve been fortunate to get to do some announcing at beautiful Monmouth Park and have been documenting my travels with short videos on Youtube. Here are links to a few and
- 2019 Preakness Stakes Pick: Laughing FoxAfter the Kentucky Derby stewards disqualified me out of cashing about a $1,300 profit two weeks ago, I'm hoping that my handicapping will be as strong and my fate much better for Preakness Day, where below I offer guidance on the late-Pick 4 sequence that culminates in Laughing Fox winning
- Pick: Loser of Kentucky Derby battle to win Preakness Stakes 144 warRace 13 | Grade I Preakness Stakes | 1 3/16 miles 1. War of Will 2. Improbable 3. Owendale 4. Bodexpress 5. Anothertwistafate Comment: The argument over the Kentucky Derby only will escalate when War of Will wears the garland of painted daisies (to be Black-eyed Susans). If he’s as
- Taking Stock: Poppet Pitts and AlwaysminingMy TDN colleague Chris McGrath ably discussed the blue-hen markers in the female family of Maryland-bred Gl Preakness contender Alwaysmining (Stay Thirsty) the other day: namely, fourth dam Cequillo, the Tartan Farms ancestress of many high-class runners, broodmares, and sires, including the highly influential John Nerud-bred sire Fappiano (Mr.
- Preakness Pick: War of Will Gets Another ChanceIn some ways, the debate over the Kentucky stewards' decision to disqualify Maximum Security from victory in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) now falls into the laps of horseplayers across the country.That's because a key question in handicapping the Preakness Stakes (G1) is: "How much was War
- Derby controversy could be best thing Preakness has going for itOne of the weakest fields in memory will chase the second jewel of the Triple Crown. The first four finishers under the wire in Louisville are AWOL. The likely favorite, Improbable, has not won a race as a 3YO, War of Will, the colt at the center of the Derby
- Keeping It In The Family: 2019 Preakness StakesSignalman joins the Triple Crown in BaltimoreAn eventful Kentucky Derby (G1) has paved the way to what looks to be a competitive 13 runner Preakness Stakes (G1) with many horses jumping on the Triple Crown train here. While four horses will be coming into this race out of the Kentucky
- LoneSpeed Preakness AnalysisBrought to you by BetPTC.com, the only ADW offering instant cash back. Fresh off our backdoor, DQ-aided $11,000 Kentucky Derby score, we are back with some hot, juicy, downright freaky Preakness analysis and wagering suggestions. Make sure you have a chance of pants nearby before reading. There is one horse,
- The Preakness, Now and Forever, a ClassicBy John Pricci HALLANDALE BEACH—Just when I thought I was out of all the Kentucky Derby talk, they pulled me back in: Post 1? Are you kidding me? War of Will, the vilified seventh place finisher of Derby 145, has come to Crab Town in search of redemption. Will he
- Breaking Down the Broken Down Preakness StakesThe Maryland Racing Commission may want to send its brethren at Churchill Downs some black roses for obliterating the caliber of the 2019 Preakness Stakes field, with none of the Top 4 from the Kentucky Derby making the trip to Pimlico, though as a service to the public I broke
- The all but one button..We’ve all been in a spot where it looks like a lot of the horses in a race are contenders and maybe one that looks like a complete outsider and not worth using at all. We’ve all likely used all but one horse in a leg of a multi race
- We Can Only Wager On What They Offer (& Sometimes It Kicks Your Style of Play in the Butt)I was pinged today by Mike on the twitter website about a couple of bomb golfers he liked for this weekend's PGA. I replied offering two bombs I bet at huge odds - Scott Piercy and Pat Perez.And that got me thinking.Pat and Scott have, I think, sneaky good form,
- Living the DreamI thought he won. I was almost confident, well, as confident as you can be in a photo finish.
- Racing Should Probably Ensure Nobody Wanders OffWorking Tuesdays in the high school and university summers as a kid was fun. Tuesday's were mine tour day and I'd be getting paid hard hat wages to be a junior guide. My main job during the tours, according to the salty underground mine vet leading them, was pretty simple:"Make
- The £1 Winner of the Grand NationalOn March 24, 1933, the 92nd Grand National was run at Aintree. This year’s race was noteworthy for more than the typical large crowds: every publication commented on the fine running and beautiful weather. A field of more than 30 horses made the iconic race of four-plus miles, and there
- Bloodhorse: Saez Suspended 15 Days for Derby RideThe Kentucky stewards have suspended jockey Luis Saez 15 days for failure to control his mount and make the proper effort to maintain a straight course in his ride aboard Maximum Security in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) May 4 at Churchill Downs. Gary and Mary West's
- Caulfield Examines French Classic Winner Persian KingThe great Frankel had a very good time with his third-crop 3-year-olds last week, with no fewer than six of them winning or placing at black-type level. Three of them won, with Obligate coming home 3 1/2 lengths clear in the Prix des Lilas, Mehdaayih 4 1/2 lengths clear in
- Stakes Profile: PreaknessWhat kind of running style historically wins the Preakness? How have favorites performed? What are the average & median win payouts? We look at a cross section of chart data since 1991 to find out this and more.
- HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO WIN THE AMERICAN TRIPLE CROWN?Between 1948 and 1973, no horse won the Triple Crown. The drought was even longer between Affirm’s Triple Crown in 1978 and American Pharoah’s in 2015. But these 25-year and 37-year gaps are misleading because Triple Crown victories have come in bunches. Three horses won the Triple Crown in the
- Derby 145 Aftermath: What Bad Publicity?By John Pricci HALLANDALE BEACH--In the wake of the Maximum Security disqualification from first in Kentucky Derby 145, the chairman of an International Federation of Horseracing committee suggested that America’s foul adjudication process should be changed, more closely aligned with a process used worldwide. That standard, known as Category 1,
- The Iroquois over the YearsThe Iroquois. It came across our radar back in 1978 when Dad was told to win it for George Strawbridge Jr. It was his goal, his grail. Owhata Chief duly did.