Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- The Horse of the Year Horse Race of 2018Could there be a better day—a day that separates this country from most of the rest of the world--than to reveal an early ballot cast Sunday? No, not that ballot, the NTRA one posted the day after Breeders’ Cup XXXV. The NTRA National Poll--as opposed to the 3-year-old Poll that
- THE PRINCE’S GIFT: ENABLE AT BREEDERS CUP 2018ENABLE as a foal. A Juddmonte homebred, she is the product of 30 years of careful and skillful breeding decisions made by Prince Khalid Abdullah and his advisors. She was not the first Arc winner to show up at the Breeders Cup, but she was the first dual Arc
- Jumping Around Podcast: Guy Torsilieri from Far Hills RacesGuy Torsilieri is the co-chair of the Far Hills Races, president of the National Steeplechase Association and the man behind the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. If that's not enough to make you listen, you're in the wrong podcast.
- inpredictable: Introducing roboCap: An automated horse race handicapperI have created a new tool, roboCap, that uses these rankings to create projected closing odds for any chosen field of horses. The rest of this post gets into the technical details of how this all works, but if you just want to play around with it, here's a quick
- Pedigree Insights: Expert EyeYou’ll hardly need me to tell you that Saturday was a historic day for Juddmonte Farms, with Prince Khalid Abdullah’s colours being carried to victory in two of the main Breeders’ Cup events. Thanks to Expert Eye in the Mile and Enable in the Turf, Juddmonte has now had seven
- Breeders’ Cup: Bringing Out the Best in Man and BeastA terrific prelude to Breeders’ Cup Saturday, the return of Florida Derby winner and Kentucky Derby show finisher Audible in the seven furlong Cherokee Run Stakes, and what a comeback performance it was. In an effort that was largely anti-profile all weekend, Audible came from far back with a wide
- Breeders’ Cup Day 2: Bringing Out the Best in Man and BeastA terrific prelude to Breeders’ Cup Saturday, the return of Florida Derby winner and Kentucky Derby show finisher Audible in the seven furlong Cherokee Run Stakes, and what a comeback performance it was. In an effort that was largely anti-profile all weekend, Audible came from far back with a wide
- Harvesting the Crop of 2013On April 12, 2016, the four major Kentucky Derby prep winners were Florida Derby winner Nyquist, Santa Anita Derby winner Exaggerator, Blue Grass Stakes winner Brody’s Cause, and Wood Memorial winner Outwork.Following three straight defeats, Nyquist was retired after a sixth-place finish in the Sept. 24 Pennsylvania Derby, Exaggerator was
- Through the Breeders’ Cup Looking Glass: Horses & Races to WatchPART 1: Future Stars Friday: Said it before and will re-state: Love the new Friday concept since the future is what this game’s always been about: This year’s juveniles are next year’s Classicists. A preview of the preview began in the Street Sense, the race before the Juvenile Turf Sprint.
- THE BEST RACEHORSE ON THE PLANETEnable, with her record of dominance, is currently the best racehorse in the world. She has won ten of eleven career starts, with her only loss being a third place finish in her second lifetime start, when she had just turned three. Enable has won some of the most prestigious
- Triple Nine Lands Sensational 4th President’s CupTriple Nine galloped his way in to Korean racing history books at Seoul Racecourse on Sunday afternoon as he cruised to an unprecedented fourth consecutive win in the President’s Cup. The six-year-old struck the front a furlong and a half from home and eased to a dominant six-length win to
- November 3, 2018Congratulations to the connections of MONOMOY GIRL,winner of the2018 Breeders’ Cup Distaff! Williamstown 1990-2015. Equisport Photos. Monomoy Girl is a great-granddaughter of Williamstown (1990-2015). Williamstown, a son of Seattle Slew, came to Old Friends in 2007 and lived with us for nearly 8 memorable years. He was outstandingly handsome, powerful,
- Hovdey: Rosario may be California dreaming, but he’s proving right at home at Churchill DownsWant to get the latest news with your past performances? Try DRF's new digital PPs. DeGregory was right. Rosario went on to grab a bunch Southern
- Breeders’ Cup 2018 SelectionsBreeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint $2 Win: 13- Marley’s Freedom $1 Exacta Box: 1- Selcourt / 7- Skye Diamonds / 13- Marley’s Freedom $2 WPS: 7- Skye Diamonds I think Marley’s Freedom is going to be tough to beat in this spot – she’s tactical but versatile, and in
- 2018 Breeders’ Cup Saturday PicksWe want you to form your opinion, but in case you’re curious, here are our picks for 2018 Breeders’ Cup Saturday.
- Picks for Breeders’ Cup Saturday at Churchill DownsTwo-time Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winner Enable is favored in the Breeders’ Cup Turf at Churchill Downs.Race 1 – 1. Tiz Mischief, 2. Mo’s Mojo, 3. Hollywood Star. Comment: Tiz Mischief drops in class and may be a step above the competition. Race 2 | Cherokee Run Stakes | 7 furlongs 1. Super
- Breeders’ Cup XXXV: Most Contentious Classic Ever?Today’s featured Breeders’ Cup Classic may be the second most important race run in this country each year but unquestionably is the most prestigious event for older horses in America. The Classic usually features ‘the Big Horse,” that year who is looking to assert his superior credentials, horses such as,
- Breeders’ Cup Could Determine Europe’s Top AwardThe Breeders' Cup welcoming top international horses is not news, but it's worth pausing to consider the lineup for this year's World Championships that arrived from overseas.There is the current frontrunner for the Cartier Award as Europe's Horse of the Year, Roaring Lion, who already has won four group 1
- 2018 Breeders’ Cup Friday PicksWe want you to form your opinion, but in case you’re curious, here are our picks for 2018 Breeders’ Cup Friday.
- Giving My Ten Cents: The Last StandThe other main reason I soured on the game was an ever-building frustration of anger towards multiple groups in the sport. From the “Super-trainers” that dominate the major circuits (through legal or questionable means), the increasingly inconsistent decisions of the stewards, the managerial decisions that serve to only help themselves
- What Wins the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and Juvenile Fillies?We dug through charts and winner's lifetime past performances to see what patterns, if any, emerge with regards to winners of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and Juvenile Fillies. Find out what we discovered!
- Analyzing how favorites have fared in the Breeders’ Cup – Brisnetavoritism belongs to the horse leaving the starting gate at the lowest odds and it’s no surprise favorites in the Breeders’ Cup win at a lower rate than the national average (approximately 35%) given the abundance of large and competitive fields in the 14-race championship event.
- Breeders’ Cup Future Stars Friday picksThe Breeders’ Cup is back at Churchill Downs. For those into Roman numerology, this is Breeders’ Cup XXXV. New to edition XXXV is the move of all juvenile races to the Friday card — now dubbed Future Stars Friday Without further ado, here are my picks. Race 1 – 1. Stronger Than Ever,
- Clumsy PR campaign tries to paint a positive pictureAll too often with these blog posts I have one idea in mind – occasionally positive – then something happens which leads me down a totally different path. Once again, that happened this week thanks to an interestingly timed press release from the NZRB wanting to paint a pretty picture
- Kellie Reilly: 2018 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf international scouting reportThe Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (G1) has gone to Europe seven times in its 11-year history, and the renewal on “Future Stars Friday” may well add to the tally. Arguably the premier domestic hope, Fog of War, is sidelined, while the international team offers strength in depth.