Aggregating horse racing commentary since 2008
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
Looking for picks, previews, tips & touts? Try Tout Wire!
- Handicapping the Kentucky Derby with screencaps from The OfficeYou can go to any number of sources and find thoughtful, pertinent analysis of this year's Kentucky Derby field, from just about every angle imaginable. Instead, you've found yourself on the website of the guy who looks at the race via haiku. I save my thoughtfulness for the day job.As
- IMPRINTS: SEA-BIRD IIIf — which is the longest word in any language — Mendelssohn pulls off a win in the 2018 Kentucky Derby, be sure that his maternal ancestor, Sea-Bird II, will have blessed his effort with the gift of wings. SEA-BIRD II. Conformation shot, identified with stamp of trainer Etienne Pollet.
- We’re Off!One of the many charms of horse racing — if you’re a certain kind of nerd — is that the game has its own lingo. Follow racing, and you’ll hear about horses finishing in the money and or as an also-ran, handicappers talking about favorites and the morning line,
- The Haiku Handicapper: 2018 Kentucky DerbyJoe Nevills, sales editor for the Daily Racing Form and columnist for Arabian Finish Line, analyzes the 2018 Kentucky Derby field in the form of Haiku; a Japanese poem of 17 syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five.#1 - Firenze FireDinked and dunked for pointsOne turn appears his
- Derby ’18 LinksIt’s that time of the year again — it’s Kentucky Derby! Hello Race Fans is out with its cheat sheet for the 2018 field, and J.J. Hysell’s capsule ‘capping of each contender will get even the most casual Derby fan up to speed on this Saturday’s starters. (The cheat sheet’s
- Justify draws well in post 7 for Kentucky DerbyView a complete list of DRF resources and content related to the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday, May 5. Mendelssohn, the .... Mike Watchmaker, Daily Racing Form's national handicapper, has Justify favored at 7-2, with Magnum Moon and Mendelssohn the co-second choices at 6-1.
- Justify draws well in post 7 for Kentucky DerbyView a complete list of DRF resources and content related to the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday, May 5. Mendelssohn, the United Arab Emirates Derby winner, landed post 14, the final spot in the main gate. There is a large gap between 14 and post 15, the first
- Derby Dozen – May 1, 2018 – Presented by Shadwell Farm1 Vino Rosso Todd Pletcher Curlin—Mythical Bride, by Street Cry I’ve had him ranked on top for several weeks now and see no reason to change at this point. He’s done nothing wrong, he looks fantastic physically, and you had to love his last work, a sharp half in
- Op/Ed: Training Partnerships: Time for Britain and Ireland to Fall in Line?Thanks to my Irish heritage I am a sucker for tradition; just ask my family when the subject of removing turkey from the Christmas dinner menu is raised. But having been fortunate to travel the world and be challenged on various facets of my mindset, I have become more accepting
- Pletcher Finishes 2018 as King of the Road to the Kentucky DerbyOn April 27, trainer Todd Pletcher sent out Audible, Magnum Moon, Noble Indy, and Vino Rosso for their final pre-Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) workouts at Churchill Downs.That would be this year's respective Xpressbet Florida Derby (G1) winner, Arkansas Derby (G1) winner, TwinSpires.com Louisiana Derby (G2) winner, and
- Sunday Seoul & Busan: Power Blade vs Silver Wolf – Race-By-Race Preview (April 29)The road to the Korea Sprint begins at Busan on Sunday and the Sprint Series gets underway with a heavyweight clash as Grand Prix Stakes winner Power Blade faces Queens’ Tour champion Silver Wolf over 1200M in the Busan Ilbo Cup. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to
- BOLT D’ORO – More than Lightning in a Bottle?BOLT D’OROThe Ruis Racing, LLC runner was always cut out to be a good one, bringing $630k at the Fasig-Tipton August yearling sale in 2016. BOLT D’ORO rattled off three wins to begin his career including a debut sprint win at 3-5. What followed was a series of ascending Bris
- Preliminary Kentucky Derby thoughts0 Dan Illman We're eight days out from the Kentucky Derby and I still have no idea which 3-year-old will be my official selection. Thankfully, I still have time to decide. For now, I've broken down my major contenders into different tiers. TIER A (TOP OF THE
- Hovdey: Capistrano win brings some light to dark timeThe world-class version of Ed Hudon's younger days boasted winners such as John Henry, Exceller, Cougar II, Lemhi Gold, Olden Times, and Amerigo. Among the most memorable races in the 83-year history of Santa Anita, the San Juan produced the last, winning ride of John Longden aboard George
- Derby Dozen – April 24, 2018 – Presented by Shadwell Farm1 Vino Rosso Todd Pletcher Curlin—Mythical Bride, by Street Cry He had a good competitive work with stakes-winning 4-year-old Outplay, winner of a recent seven-furlong allowance race in 1:22 3/5. Vino Rosso broke off on top and the pair kept exchanging leads before coming down the stretch together and
- IMPRINTS: MATA HARINamed after an infamous spy for the Germans in WW1, this mighty filly leaves her imprint on the 2018 Kentucky Derby, as well as on international thoroughbred racing. MATA HARI was a brilliant grandaughter of MAN O’ WAR. Photo: DRF, May 23, 1934. A solid bay filly with
- Sparkman: For Awesome Again, respect has come in breeding shedSparkman: For Awesome Again, respect has come in breeding shed. By John P. Sparkman · Print · Tweet · Email. Coady Photography. Something Awesome, a son of Awesome Again, wins the Grade 2 Charles Town Classic on Saturday. Who was the best American racehorse never to win a
- Danzig line and Greenham StakesJames Garfield's sire Exceed and Excel is also grandsire of last year's winner Barney RoyJAMES GARFIELD by Exceed and Excel is the 6th Greenham Stakes (Gr.3) winner in a row of Danzig line.
- 4.5 Million Reasons to Love the New Tax RulesAbout 2,000 bettors went home happy after playing the mandatory-payout Rainbow 6 wager March 31 at Gulfstream Park. Thanks to new tax reporting and withholding rules put in place during the fall, the joy figures to spread through racing for quite some time.Betting the Rainbow 6 on this year's Florida
- Racetrackers – ENCORE presentation Steve CauthenWe speak with Stve Cauthen about his illustrious career